How to start a Massey Ferguson 165 Diesel

/ How to start a Massey Ferguson 165 Diesel #1  

amper02

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 165
Hello all. We just bought our first home on 35 rolling acres. With the house came a Massey Ferguson 165 diesel 2wd. We are not sure on the year. The previous owners started the tractor up and moved it out of the barn. My wonderful dear husband cannot figure out how to start it. It is definitely old and nothing is labled. Any instructions step by step or otherwise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :newhere:

/ How to start a Massey Ferguson 165 Diesel #2  
Has he tried to start it and failed? If so tell us what he has done so we can try to figure out what he's doing wrong.

/ How to start a Massey Ferguson 165 Diesel #3  
There's not much to starting them. Put it in neutral, make sure the fuel shut off knob is pushed in.

/ How to start a Massey Ferguson 165 Diesel #4  
As others have said. The main key here is to make sure the fuel knob on right and down closer to the gear shifters is pushed in and then just turn key to right. To shut tractor off jsut pull the knob out and that will turn the fuel off. The key turns off on its own so no need to shut it off. I was on our 165 tonight.

/ How to start a Massey Ferguson 165 Diesel #5  
if he can't start maybe he needs someone to show him a little about it before he gets it going and can't stop it

/ How to start a Massey Ferguson 165 Diesel #6  
Generally speaking there is a fuel valve on the tank outlet that must be turned open. The fuel cutoff lever must be in the run position, the throttle lever should be moved downward ~ half way. Then you actuate the starter by making sure the tractor is out of gear (both levers in the neutral position) and the clutch pedal pressed down and turning the key to the start position. If the engine is recieving fuel, you should see eveidence of someexhaust; a white mist or smoke means it's getting fuel.

/ How to start a Massey Ferguson 165 Diesel #7  
There are 2 things to do to start.
1) there is a black knob below the lower left of the dash board. this MUST be pushed in to start.(may have "pull to stop" written on it)
2) the SHORT gear lever MUST be in neutral as there is a cutout switch connected to it. (you can turn the key and there is no response at all if in gear)
NOW, you can key start.
NB to stop the engine pull the black knob , this cuts the fuel off.
note on older models the key automaticly returns to the "off" position after starting, and on newer models you manually turn the key off when you turn the engine off.
lastly ,on these (mf165)tractors you don't need to step on the clutch to start,

/ How to start a Massey Ferguson 165 Diesel #8  
Red man hit the nail on the head and will probably you get you figured out. One thing to clarify though would be whether it's cranks but no start or no crank at all.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ How to start a Massey Ferguson 165 Diesel #10  
Still no reply from amper02. I wonder if her husband was pulling out that thing that looks like a choke.