Turbo engines, determine if turbo good

/ Turbo engines, determine if turbo good #1  

geneP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case-International 385, Kubota L5450 w/LA1150A loader
I'm looking for a ~50 hp, 5000# tractor and looked at a MF 263 today. The tractor ran good, but I couldn't load it up to see about max power. Without specific diagnostic tools, is there a way to tell if the turbo is working normally on a Perkins engine? Also, can anyone tell me what size engine is in the 263? No tag on the engine, only numbers I could see was "C3" cast in the block lower left side just above the "Perkins" name. TractorData.Com says 165 c.i., but the seller said he thought it was bigger. The newer 563 has a turbo 201ci.

/ Turbo engines, determine if turbo good #2  
You would have to check boost pressure

/ Turbo engines, determine if turbo good #3  
I'm looking for a ~50 hp, 5000# tractor and looked at a MF 263 today. The tractor ran good, but I couldn't load it up to see about max power. Without specific diagnostic tools, is there a way to tell if the turbo is working normally on a Perkins engine? Also, can anyone tell me what size engine is in the 263? No tag on the engine, only numbers I could see was "C3" cast in the block lower left side just above the "Perkins" name. TractorData.Com says 165 c.i., but the seller said he thought it was bigger. The newer 563 has a turbo 201ci.

The only sure fire way to prove that the turbo is working properly( as well as the entire engine)to see that it achieves rated power ar rated speed on a dynomometer.

/ Turbo engines, determine if turbo good #4  
I have more time now sorry I didn't include this in first post pull hose off turbo this would be hose going from turbo to intake or after cooler if equipped check and see if any oil is in hose this is called slobber and is an indicator of turbo failure. usually turbo either work or they don't only thing that goes wrong other than complete failure is waste gate problems. hole in hose will usually make whistling noise as air escapes.

/ Turbo engines, determine if turbo good #5  
I have more time now sorry I didn't include this in first post pull hose off turbo this would be hose going from turbo to intake or after cooler if equipped check and see if any oil is in hose this is called slobber and is an indicator of turbo failure. usually turbo either work or they don't only thing that goes wrong other than complete failure is waste gate problems. hole in hose will usually make whistling noise as air escapes.

Some oil can be normal on a modern turbo diesel as the PCV system will put it there.... however, if its soaked it's obviously bad. Look for nay signs of oil in the exhaust also.... the last test is to physically grab the impeller wheel and try to pivot it in the housing from side to side (obviously with the engine off). It will be a journal bearing turbo so it should have a very slight amount of play, but the wheel should never hit the housing. Also check the housing for evidence of the wheel hitting. You should also try to pull it in and out, and there should be almost zero play this way, it should be a very noticeable difference(less play in and out) from in and out to side to side. Hope this helps....

/ Turbo engines, determine if turbo good #6  
Some oil can be normal on a modern turbo diesel as the PCV system will put it there.... however, if its soaked it's obviously bad. Look for nay signs of oil in the exhaust also.... the last test is to physically grab the impeller wheel and try to pivot it in the housing from side to side (obviously with the engine off). It will be a journal bearing turbo so it should have a very slight amount of play, but the wheel should never hit the housing. Also check the housing for evidence of the wheel hitting. You should also try to pull it in and out, and there should be almost zero play this way, it should be a very noticeable difference(less play in and out) from in and out to side to side. Hope this helps....
I agree with you on modern engine but I don't think a case 385 meets this standard

/ Turbo engines, determine if turbo good #7  

The engine is a 903.27T, which is the turbo version of the engine in my 241. It's 2.7L which is roughly 165 cu. in.

The 563 is 15 years newer, so I wouldn't use that as a comparison since they are totally dissimilar machines other than having the same last two digits.

/ Turbo engines, determine if turbo good
Thank you all for your replies. It tells me what I need to know.