2012 John Deere 5055e loss of power blowing white smoke

/ 2012 John Deere 5055e loss of power blowing white smoke #1  

hotchkiss

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 6330, JD 5055e, Ford 4000,
I have a 2012 5055e with 133 hours on it that may still be under warranty. Today one of the guys was Bushogging with it and it lost power (could not go over 1300 rpms he said and it blew white smoke constantly. What are your thoughts as to what it is before I look at it.

/ 2012 John Deere 5055e loss of power blowing white smoke
It did not overheat. The guy who was running it said he thought the turbo went out of it.

/ 2012 John Deere 5055e loss of power blowing white smoke #3  
Fuel issue perhaps? Check for water, or possibly air getting into system. I'm not a diesel mechanic, but that's where I would start.

/ 2012 John Deere 5055e loss of power blowing white smoke #5  
If it's still under warranty that's where I would go . does sound like turbo check hose coming off turbo should be dry if oily seals in turbo bad

/ 2012 John Deere 5055e loss of power blowing white smoke
Oh if it is under warranty, it is going to shop. I think it is out of warranty by about 2 months though. Will have to check. I really don't think it is the turbo. He thought it was simply because we had a turbo go and it would blow white smoke when you first started it for a while. This is different I would say it is something else.

/ 2012 John Deere 5055e loss of power blowing white smoke #7  
Has operator listened for "turbo whine"? I thought lack of turbo boost(less incoming air) would make smoke black not white. Check easiest things 1st which would be fuel flow from tank & change fuel filter

/ 2012 John Deere 5055e loss of power blowing white smoke #8  
Its possible a head gasket also but you would have thought the temp would climb

/ 2012 John Deere 5055e loss of power blowing white smoke #9  
We've had the same problem with a 5045e and still haven't really figured it out. Sometimes it will do it enough the tractor becomes unusable, other times it will go months between episodes. It mostly does it after extended hours of field work like tedding/rakeing/baling hay. It also seems to use coolant, not sure if that is related or not. Sorry I can't be of much help other than another data point.

/ 2012 John Deere 5055e loss of power blowing white smoke #10  
We've had the same problem with a 5045e and still haven't really figured it out. Sometimes it will do it enough the tractor becomes unusable, other times it will go months between episodes. It mostly does it after extended hours of field work like tedding/rakeing/baling hay. It also seems to use coolant, not sure if that is related or not. Sorry I can't be of much help other than another data point.

possible waterpump seal faulty and tiny leaking/seaping into block when very hot (warpage??). Pull water pump and look for telltale signs at sealing surface. or IDK.