Tach and hour meter not working on my Newholland T2310

/ Tach and hour meter not working on my Newholland T2310 #1  

henveron

Tractor
newholland T2310
I have been bothered all summer by an intermittent working/ not working tach and hour meter. Everything else on the gauge cluster works and the tractor starts and runs great. Can anybody tell me where to start trouble shooting? The tractor is a 2008 T2310.

/ Tach and hour meter not working on my Newholland T2310 #2  
check for a spade plug on the alternator that is loose. pull / reseat.

/ Tach and hour meter not working on my Newholland T2310
All connections on the alternator were tight . Forgot to put in the post that the tach and hour meter haven't worked for a few days now. any idea where to look next?

/ Tach and hour meter not working on my Newholland T2310 #4  
The pickup inside the alternator may be dirty or corroded. I ran into this issue in the past on a different tractor. I had the alternator "rebuilt" locally for about $30 mainly for the internal cleaning but received new bearings to boot.

/ Tach and hour meter not working on my Newholland T2310 #5  
My electrical knowledge is nil, but I had a problem with the hour meter at exactly 1000 and 2000 hours. I do not know if yours is the same, but the whole dash unit simply prises out on mine. I mentioned the problem to a friend who called just after it reached the mark, and he removed the unit and then manually moved the hour meter over the 000 mark. If it is a simple job to remove it then do so and see if you can get the tach and/or hour meter to move manually. It might just be sticking.