smoothing a 25 year fallow field?

/ smoothing a 25 year fallow field? #1  

leveled

Gold Member
Tractor
MX5100HST FEL, KX121 MINI X GEHL 6640 Ferris IS3200z Kubota 1100RTV
I cleared about two acres of land this year. I would like to smooth it out since it has been left all rutted up from the last harvest 25 years ago. I have plowed it and disc and dragged it in smaller areas for food plots (which works well but time consuming, I would like to plant next spring). My plan was to plant hardwood trees in this area for the future harvest. I suspect i will have to cut around these trees so it would be nice to have it somewhat smooth. I was also debating just hiring it out to a local farmer but not sure what to expect it would cost. I also want to save the trees they are ash and probably will be used for firewood since the ash-bor beetle may kill them. The ruts are a deeper than appears in the picture that I have attached. All suggestion are welcome and appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1426.jpg
    IMG_1426.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 331
   / smoothing a 25 year fallow field? #2  
A large machine with a heavy disc would make short work of this.In the long run it would be cheaper and faster to hire it done.Cost?You will have to ask around to your local farmers.

/ smoothing a 25 year fallow field? #3  
Nybirdman beat me to it. Disking with a harrow or cultipacker should do the trick. Here's a survey of custom rates in PA that may give you a ballpark estimate of what to expect if you try to hire out the work: http://nydairyadmin.cce.cornell.edu/pdf/submission/pdf323_pdf.pdf.

Just curious. Do you know what was grown on the field? My guess is potatoes.

Steve

Last edited:
   / smoothing a 25 year fallow field? #4  
I would plow it with a chisel plow at least twice - going perpendicular to the ruts and at a 45 degree angle to the ruts.

After chiseling it at least twice, I'd plow it with a disc harrow until it was uniform. Then, if you want it more manicured, something like a soil pulverizer would work.

It's only 2 acres, so it can't take very long. Be patient and work the soil. It didn't get rutted in an hour and you won't get it un-rutted quickly either.

/ smoothing a 25 year fallow field? #5  
All pretty good suggestions but here's mine. I would rototill then drag it with a rake 2 acres is not that much. If it was not smooth enough then I would do it again. he's got a 50 h.p. tractor let him use it.

/ smoothing a 25 year fallow field? #6  
leveled, What equipment do you already own apart from the plough (mouldboard?) and discs (harrows?)? As RH says, your tractor is more than adequate to do what needs to be done. From what I can see, and having brought a lot of land into cultivation for the first time ever, you can do the job with only those two implements if that is all you have.

/ smoothing a 25 year fallow field?
I have 2 bottom ford plow and 8 ft disc harrow, and a 10' cultipacker an old one cast iron, i also have a 5 ft tiller bush hog. i had just made an oval track for my youngest to ride his dirtbike on and i did this by making multiple passes with the rototiller then dragging with a railroad tie. i have another 60 acers to do and i am tryng to get a system that work efficiently.

/ smoothing a 25 year fallow field? #8  
I have 2 bottom ford plow and 8 ft disc harrow, and a 10' cultipacker an old one cast iron, i also have a 5 ft tiller bush hog. i had just made an oval track for my youngest to ride his dirtbike on and i did this by making multiple passes with the rototiller then dragging with a railroad tie. i have another 60 acers to do and i am tryng to get a system that work efficiently.
Sounds as thou you figured this out slow going but this is reason for having equipment.enjoy

/ smoothing a 25 year fallow field? #9  
Rent (or buy) a Harley Rake.

/ smoothing a 25 year fallow field? #10  
You have all of the equipment and implements needed to do the job. One item that would help is some sort of drag to give it a smooth surface before using the cultipacker.

This abandoned field was plowed, disced, dragged and then the cultipacker was used. It was a complete mess before being worked. Stray trees, mounds of dumped dirt and concrete, and hadn't been touched in the 30 years that it was across the road from me.

Attachments

• TBN7.jpg
    TBN7.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 202