Oil & Fuel Fuel consumption

/ Fuel consumption #21  
<font color="blue"> Not so, the more you load the engine the more fuel it will use to maintain the required RPM's </font>
<font color="green"> Think of it as speed going up a hill in a car Mike. </font>
Thanks, popabear and doc! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Fuel consumption
I asked the question to get a better idea of how much diesel fuel I'll be using in a season. Have another project in mind that would use diesel as well and am thinking about a tank to handle both.

Ralph

/ Fuel consumption #23  
Richard,

While not a "Professional" farmer, I do need to keep track of my fuel consumption to know how much it costs me to produce the hay I sell. I keep a log of how much fuel is drawn off the storage tank each time I fill up one of my tractors so I can order more before I run out. Imagine my surprise when I "ran out", and my log showed there should still be about 150 gallons left.

Turned out my sons who live in our other house rent free with the agreement to pay for the electricity and heat (can you say "fuel oil furnace"?) discovered that diesel fuel and fuel oil are the same thing and had been helping themselves...5 gallons at a time.

They are great kids...They are great kids...They are great kids. If I say it enough times I may even convince myself!

/ Fuel consumption #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I asked the question to get a better idea of how much diesel fuel I'll be using in a season. Have another project in mind that would use diesel as well and am thinking about a tank to handle both.

Ralph )</font>

Well, my BX2200 uses between 1/3 and 1/2 gallon per hour depending on what I do. Of course, these are estimates! YMMV /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Fuel consumption #25  
<font color="blue"> Just curiosity, on my part -- sometimes it doesn't take a whole lot of concentration to run the tractor, so my mind goes wandering off to other things, like "Wonder how much fuel this thing is using?" or "Wonder if I should build a blimp?"</font>

Blimp! Blimp! Build the blimp! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Fuel consumption #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( Why would anyone (other than someone in a business for profit) CARE what their usage per hour is? )</font>

Curiosity! And maybe braggin' rights? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

And it's still a pretty good long-term overall diagnostic factor for a lot of things, from general wear and tear to determining the effects of modifications...

/ Fuel consumption
Good points, MarkC. That's why I keep track of the fuel mileage on my cars. Have little notebooks in each car where I write down all maintenance and gallonage and mileage at every fuel up. I compute the mileage in my head each time but every once in a while go to the computer and put the figures into an Excel spreadsheet.

Mileage for the Benz over 160k miles of ownership was 29 until I put the 300D fan on it that does't run if not needed. Went up to 30 mpg. Had same experience on my 220D when I removed the fan (has an electric fan that cuts in if neede).

VW mileage has been 32 ever since the tuneup at 60k miles. Was 30 before.

Tacoma mileage was 27 in La in flat country, more warm. It's 26 here in the hills and starting up in unheated carriage house. By the way, this truck gets 30 mpg at 85 mph on the road.

Ralph

/ Fuel consumption #28  
Ralph, I just keep mine on a spreadsheet to start with, so I know what the price of gas was on each date gas was bought, the mileage on the odometer, number of gallons bought, mileage for this tank, and cumulative mileage from the day I got the vehicle. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Fuel consumption #29  
Bird,
Just wish I was as organized as you /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I just keep putting gas in as required. It used to be an advantage years ago when we gould deduct gasoline taxes from our income taxes ( as an individual).

/ Fuel consumption #30  
This PDF file will answer how much diesel a trctor will use based on PTO HP http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/farmmgt/05006.pdf
for a quick summary
Fuel consumpsion per rated PTO-HP
Deisel .048 Gal/hr
Gasoline .068 " "
LP gas .080 " "
Lots of other information, like how much you will use on various farm projects, plowing etc
JimC