Logging tongs

/ Logging tongs #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
Hi,
Have a set on a hand winch I use to lift rounds up on my spliter.They work great if you have 2people one holds them on the round until it starts to lift.problem is by myself it doesn't work so good .i tap them in best I can but sometimes they come off until I get a tension on the cable.any one ever tried to attach a spring to keep them taught or does any one have another idea?

/ Logging tongs #2  
You might have "skidder" tongs instead of "lifting tongs". Lifting tongs have the gripping points angled quite a bit to dig into the bark when the log's weight is applied. A round may not have enough weight to activate the points. I use a small two-pound drilling hammer to convince the points into the log if it becomes an issue. Also, every once in a while the points will be sharpened. It is amazing how much better they hold when sharp.

A photo of your tongs would help.

Also, rounds tend to be difficult to handle with tongs unless they are used vertically on the end of the log. Using them horizontally in the center seems to cause the round to spin off the tong every time.

/ Logging tongs #3  
Hi,
Have a set on a hand winch I use to lift rounds up on my spliter.They work great if you have 2people one holds them on the round until it starts to lift.problem is by myself it doesn't work so good .i tap them in best I can but sometimes they come off until I get a tension on the cable.any one ever tried to attach a spring to keep them taught or does any one have another idea?

Good idea, maybe a large rubber band?

/ Logging tongs #4  
I just sharpened mine and it help a lot. I use mine hooked to a chain on my loader. Have no problems now.

/ Logging tongs #5  
Somehow I have collected several of the tongs including one that has handles supposed used for railroad ties. With large rounds and using the biggest set I drive one side in the round with a pin hammer [sledge hammer with cut down handle] as log as one side is in the wood the other will catch when picking with the bucket and chain.

/ Logging tongs
Heres tonghts pics it actually worked good on maple it doesnt stay in ash well i never lost a round tonight ive also learned to hook low to ground so its constantly pulling .any more thoughts its a little time consuming to tap the hooks in but sure in heck saves on the back

Attachments

• image-113119690.jpg
    image-113119690.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 270
  • image-2673562910.jpg
    image-2673562910.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 253
   / Logging tongs #7  
I think your tongs are about one size too small. Hooks point down a bit in the second photo.

Bruce

/ Logging tongs #8  
Id modify them with a spring. I know the ones used to grub brush are spring loaded and have a pretty decent bite.

/ Logging tongs
How do you tell what size you have (measure)?its 16 inch wood what size to get?

/ Logging tongs #10  
I think your tongs are about one size too small. Hooks point down a bit in the second photo.

Bruce
I'd have to agree with Bruce. You can see the tips on your tongs would let the round slip out. The tips should point toward the pull so that they seat deeper into the wood, the more pressure that is applied.