Liability Insurance

/ Liability Insurance #1  

chim

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, Ford 1210
Can anyone recommend an insurer for liability coverage? I do a little volunteer work (mow a lawn for a widow, snow removal for neighbors and church). Payments are not required and generally refused. Our State Farm agent said he couldn't help, and sent me to a friend / competitor of his. That guy thought he could do something, but the cost was obscene for volunteer work. If it were a business and I charged for the work it would be different. Any ideas? Thank you!

/ Liability Insurance #2  
have you checked into an "umbrella policy" with your current homeowners policy? mine is about $300/yr for 1m coverage with my current auto/homeowners policy. just ask your agent if you would would qualify given your application... insurance sure does cost in all areas, just can't afford not having :-( it's all in the details best regards

/ Liability Insurance #3  
or have them each sign a waiver.... and that the work is done as a volunteer "for them" .... they then cover you under their insurance policy ...

but you can never accept payment for the work .....

/ Liability Insurance #4  
I also am not in business and do the same as you for neighbors etc. I did buy Direct PDI (Direct Physical Damage) insurance through CNH. It covers my tractor for damage when off my property. It covers most everything about the tractor but its not a liability policy. That policy (PDI) costs about $210. a year. I do have a liability policy but the cost is more than double the PDI. I am not happy with my coverage for the price they charge and not going to recommend that company or policy. In a year or so when I retire I'll shop for a business liability policy. I try to be extra careful on other property because you have to be a lawyer to interpret the fine print. Several others are also looking for similar policies but haven't read whether any have a reasonably priced policy.

/ Liability Insurance #5  
My SF agent said I did not need coverage as long as I did not have "contract" to do snow removal for neighbors but could receive "gifts" from them for the work....

/ Liability Insurance #6  
are you looking for liability insurance for your tractor or for yourself in all areas, or both? (wise to include both!)... btw, you may have to do 2 different policies...KTCA is great for your tractor, but maybe something else for your own personal liability... for that circumstance, think my own personal umbrella would apply at least in my own case best

/ Liability Insurance
I'm looking for coverage to protect me due to something happening with a tractor when on someone else's property. As a matter of fact, my agent said I should have coverage in the event someone slips and falls on a parking lot I cleared even if it's from a re-freeze days after I was there. He suggested a "hold harmless" agreement from anyone I'd plow for.

Last winter I had a bud trailer the Ford to the church, so it wasn't driven on the road except what was necessary in the street to clear parking spaces.

I drove the Kubota there when we had decent snows. It's about a mile from my house. According to what I could find, a tractor with 21 or greater HP may be driven on public roads here in PA if it has an SMV sign and blinkers. We live in a fairly rural area and it isn't uncommon to see farm tractors and equipment on the roads along with occasional tractors the size of mine.

The guy my agent referred me to first said $600 for liability coverage and today said it would be a commercial policy and START at $1,000. Now I'm looking again.

/ Liability Insurance #9  
I have an umbrella policy and a separate rider for my tractor up to $20K for fire/theft, etc. There is NO coverage for off premise use through my umbrella or tractor specific rider.
The ONLY way to get off premise tractor coverage is to own a business and buy a commercial policy for big $.
Working off premises for remuneration, OR for free still opens one to liability and possible suit, even if interested parties sign a disclaimer regarding work to be preformed, IMHO.
It's risky business to take a tractor to someone else's property, no matter how well intended the tractor owner may be.....

/ Liability Insurance #10  
The ONLY way to get off premise tractor coverage is to own a business and buy a commercial policy for big $.

This is not true. I have tractor coverage through CNH. It is called (Direct PDI) direct physical damage insurance. I covers my tractor on or off my property, on the road, etc. Full coverage runs about $210 a year. This NOT a liability policy but coverage to protect my investment from damage on or off my property.

CNH Industrial Capital - Commercial Equipment Financing, Leasing and Insurance services