Loader Driveway tear out

/ Driveway tear out #1  

midice8

Tractor
Working on it
Anybody ever tear up asphalt with their Kubota BX?

The stuff I'm thinking about taking out is old and pretty crumbly (if that's even a word) already.

/ Driveway tear out #2  
I haven't, but sounds doable with a backhoe, not sure if a ripper tooth would work, depends on strength of asphalt I'd guess.

/ Driveway tear out #3  
Need pics of tractor and driveway. How much of the underling base are you planing to replace?

/ Driveway tear out #4  
Driveway Asphalt is pretty easy to break out as it has very little adhesive strength and is not very thick. You should have no problem with it especially if it is old.
Most of the "Driveway installers" that come by with the old I have some asphalt left over from so and so and can do this drive way for you use inferior grade asphalt with not enough liquid tar in it and usually it is not up to spec for temperature so it is very crumbly to start with.

/ Driveway tear out #5  
At our church we replaced asphalt paving with concrete in an area about 14' wide and 40' long. Most of it was against brick, concrete or a steep ivy-covered bank. It's condition had not deteriorated badly, but rather had an uneven surface that made it difficult for some of the older people to walk there.

The one short side was the only good access to rip from. We did make a sawcut roughly down the middle to help loosen things up. This was a Summer project, so the asphalt was softer than it would have been in December. After I managed to get the edge of the bucket under the asphalt it came up pretty easily. It did take a little patience to keep upward pressure on the asphalt while it stretched to the tearing/breaking point.

/ Driveway tear out #6  
A buddy of mine tore his out with his 1500 pound CUT and FEL without a tooth bar. It was about 1 inch thick and had "alligatored" very bad.
You should be alright.

/ Driveway tear out #7  
I don't think you will have problem tearing it up getting rid of it is another question.

/ Driveway tear out #8  
here's where a set of forks would come in handy ... slip under the paving and lift a bit , more forward and repeat ....

/ Driveway tear out #9  
I don't think you will have problem tearing it up getting rid of it is another question.
It and what is just under it will make excellent fill. If you had enough of it the hot top plants would take it and recycle it but you don't have enough to interest them. If you have the room you can just pile it up and wait for a project to present itself. People get antsy about wasting the asphalt in it today but there is a limit to how many gallons of diesel you should use to save one gallon of asphalt cement.

/ Driveway tear out #10  
You can read about (and see the pics of) my adventures in the realm of asphalt driveway removal starting with the 33rd post in the thread below.

New Driveway and Polebarn

I used a Kubota B2910 TLB with a Markham toothbar on the loader bucket. It wasn't necessarily a piece of cake ... all depends on the condition of the asphalt ... and how thick your asphalt is.

Mine was over 6" - and possibly close to 8" - thick in some spots.

I tore out probably at least 400' ... after the topsoil under the driveway was removed, the old asphalt was placed back on the driveway and crushed into place with a dozer to used as the base for my new (gravel) driveway.