I Learned a Valuable lesson last night!!

/ I Learned a Valuable lesson last night!! #11  
When you stopped was it 7:00.5PM? I got a spot like that also, but not to long and I just let it slide.

/ I Learned a Valuable lesson last night!! #12  
A good reminder of another benefit of 4wd. When in 4wd, all wheels provide braking. Thanks for sharing, this may save someone from a bad accident.

/ I Learned a Valuable lesson last night!! #13  
My practice is to always leave my tractor in 4wd. On rare occasions when driving on pavement, I put it in 2wd. Every time, and I mean EVERY TIME that I forget and leave it in 2wd and start working the tractor, I almost instantly am reminded of why I use 4wd. The traction difference is simply incredible.

/ I Learned a Valuable lesson last night!! #14  
I Learned a Valuable lesson last night. It's that time of year up North so I decided to unhook my rear finish mower for the season. I took it up the hill to a storage garage and put it away. Now my little tractor has no weight on the back and an empty bucket up front. Not thinking anything about it, I drove the tractor back down the fairly steep hill to the house. The Tractor was in 2 wheel drive and as soon as I hit the steep part (about 7pm, with just a start of dew on the grass) the rear wheels lost traction and away I went down the hill FAST, really FAST. I dropped the bucket down on the grass to slow me to a stop, and then I tried to figure out what heck just happened. A combination of no brakes on the front wheels and being in 2 wheel drive, meant I had no stopping power up front were the weight was. Once I figured this out and checked my shorts! I tried the hill again, this time in 4 wheel drive. No problems, I even stopped part way down the hill and backed up. A simple thing, but this could have been a really bad accident had I hit the brakes hard and the tractor spun sideways or even rolled over. Moral of the story, steep hills up or down = Tractor in 4 Wheel drive. I hope this can be a useful tip to someone!!! As usual one Man's Stupidity is another Man's Wisdom!!

Thanks for sharing Tom :thumbsup:

/ I Learned a Valuable lesson last night!! #15  
People ALWAYS ask " why do I need four wheel drive" ...I learned my lesson back in the 60's when I had snow plowing business. I purchased a new Dodge power wagon, the baddest 4x4 on the planet in my mind. One time I pulled off the road on some wet glass, and I was STUCK, couldn't move an inch. I thought, how can this be - GRASS and I wasn't even buried, just slipping in two wheel drive on top of the grass. Simple fix, I locked in the front hubs and I was on my way. I thought then and there I will never ever be without a 4x4 and I never have been.

/ I Learned a Valuable lesson last night!! #16  
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

And Nukes... :D

This is also a good way to check if you're Really in 4WD.

On gravel, goose the throttle and then hit the brakes (pedals locked).
The front wheels will skid along with the rear.

Kudos to Dave @ Daves Tractors for this tidbit, I wasn't sure my 4WD was engaging.

/ I Learned a Valuable lesson last night!! #17  
My practice is to always leave my tractor in 4wd. On rare occasions when driving on pavement, I put it in 2wd. Every time, and I mean EVERY TIME that I forget and leave it in 2wd and start working the tractor, I almost instantly am reminded of why I use 4wd. The traction difference is simply incredible.
Same here, mostly gravel roads and if by chance I hit the asphalt, it's usually snow covered.

/ I Learned a Valuable lesson last night!! #18  
A good reminder of another benefit of 4wd. When in 4wd, all wheels provide braking. Thanks for sharing, this may save someone from a bad accident.

X2

Posting these situations makes it safer for everyone.

/ I Learned a Valuable lesson last night!! #19  
I decided to put mine in four wheel drive and leave it. No good reason to be in two wheel, fuel cost is not even measurable. If you got it use it. HS

/ I Learned a Valuable lesson last night!! #20  
mine stays in 4WD unless on pavement
I'll deal with the extra ware and tare on my front components when it needs attention

I'm always afraid that the wife or daughter will be on it in 2wd and not know how to handle the situation
so it stays in 4wd period