Loader Lifting Logs

/ Lifting Logs #1  

otherguy

Tractor
Kioti DK45SE
I am looking at purchasing a 1999 JD 4500 that has a Woods 1012 loader, the lift capacity is rated at 1375 lbs. Maybe that lift capacity is at the top??

Will this tractor/loader combo be able to lift 8 foot logs, anywhere from 18" to 36" in diamter??

I don't need it to be lifted very high, the highest ever would be to get it on a trailer but that wont be all the time. I didn't know if someone here has used something similar to lift logs and have done fine with it. Just as a guide an 8ft White Oak log weighs about 1648 lbs (from what I can find).

Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
   / Lifting Logs #2  
The lift capacity depends on what attachment you have on loader for example a ssqa set of forks weighs usually less than a ssqa grapple. most of the time if you can pick it up it will lift it all the way up. Have to be careful when moving with heavy load the higher it goes the more unstable it is. so not knowing how much each log weighs you just have to try make sure you have weight on 3 point hitch to counter balance load

/ Lifting Logs
The lift capacity depends on what attachment you have on loader for example a ssqa set of forks weighs usually less than a ssqa grapple. most of the time if you can pick it up it will lift it all the way up. Have to be careful when moving with heavy load the higher it goes the more unstable it is. so not knowing how much each log weighs you just have to try make sure you have weight on 3 point hitch to counter balance load

Good point, was probably just going to used chains on the bucket, wont have any other attachments for the loader except the bucket that comes with the tractor. I wasn't sure if the capacity is 1325, and the log is 1650 or more, if it still can be lifted, at least some.

/ Lifting Logs #4  
Good point, was probably just going to used chains on the bucket, wont have any other attachments for the loader except the bucket that comes with the tractor. I wasn't sure if the capacity is 1325, and the log is 1650 or more, if it still can be lifted, at least some.

The only real way to know is to try it. As you probably already know, logs that look identical can have very dissimilar weights.

The hydraulic pump will go into relief if the log weighs too much.

If you can somehow get the too heavy log off the ground, then the FEL should be able to maintain the height although not lifting it any higher. Sometimes we use a second tractor to help team lift a log and the tractor will hold it where it is.

Another trick is to slide forks under the log all the way. (I know you don't have forks...yet!) Then curl the forks. If they will curl then the log will be a few inches off the ground. It is enough to move the log around a bit on flat ground. Loading it on a trailer would require another tractor to team lift it.

Be sure to use a BIG counterweight.

/ Lifting Logs #5  
I am looking at purchasing a 1999 JD 4500 that has a Woods 1012 loader, the lift capacity is rated at 1375 lbs. Maybe that lift capacity is at the top??

Will this tractor/loader combo be able to lift 8 foot logs, anywhere from 18" to 36" in diameter??

I don't need it to be lifted very high, the highest ever would be to get it on a trailer but that wont be all the time. I didn't know if someone here has used something similar to lift logs and have done fine with it. Just as a guide an 8ft White Oak log weighs about 1648 lbs (from what I can find).

Thanks for any info.

I think you answered your own question if you look at the numbers you posted.

/ Lifting Logs #6  
I think you answered your own question if you look at the numbers you posted.

Not necessarily. He is not sure that if a loader is rated at a given capacity when fully elevated means to its capacity if it is only lifting less than half way. The loader on my last tractor was rated for 850 lbs but routinely lifted a 1000 lbs a couple of feet off the ground.

/ Lifting Logs #7  
Possibly but he also has 200 to 300 lbs or more with his bucket or forks. That puts him at 500-600 or more pounds over capacity. Unlikely it will work.

/ Lifting Logs #8  
Not only is the weight a problem if the specs are to be believed, but I think 8 foot logs are going to be a bear to balance unless they are very uniform and symmetric. I like lifting 4'-5' sections myself, since they can fit inside my bucket and I know they are not going to shift or tip. For longer stuff that is for lumber, I skid them on the 3-pt. If I do have to lift them with the front loader, it's just up into the cradle on a sawmill, which is only a 3-4" inches off the ground.

/ Lifting Logs #9  
Not only is the weight a problem if the specs are to be believed, but I think 8 foot logs are going to be a bear to balance unless they are very uniform and symmetric. I like lifting 4'-5' sections myself, since they can fit inside my bucket and I know they are not going to shift or tip. For longer stuff that is for lumber, I skid them on the 3-pt. If I do have to lift them with the front loader, it's just up into the cradle on a sawmill, which is only a 3-4" inches off the ground.

Specs aside, I find 8 ' logs extremely easy to balance as they are only overhanging most buckets 18" off of either side.. Even this log only took 2 tries to find it's balance point. Walked it down about a 100' with no issues at all. Joking aside, I refrain from lifting anything that heavy and moving with it with the front end loader for the enormous torsional stress on front end componetry. The light logs you see on the bucket is as large a load as I would go traveling a distance as combined, I doubt they weigh 400 lbs

Attachments

• PA093766.jpg
    PA093766.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 606
   / Lifting Logs #10  

Will this tractor/loader combo be able to lift 8 foot logs, anywhere from 18" to 36" in diamter??

Thanks for any info.
Is it 4 wheel drive?
john-deere-4500.jpg
If it is you can adjust the pressure relief a little higher, the front axle will handle the extra weight.