When is your last grass mowing and what is fall mower maintenance?

/ When is your last grass mowing and what is fall mower maintenance? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
How late do you mow grass for the season and what do you do to the mower for fall maintenance? Seems I'll be mowing in mid November. It was fun in March but the welcome is now worn out.

I would like to pull the mower deck on my B7800 Kubota to scrape the old grass out, change the mower gear oil, clean anything rusty and put on some new blades or at least sharpen the old ones. I'd also like to change the engine oil and anti freeze. Trouble is, the grass just keeps growing around here and I wonder if I should do the maint now and just go back to mowing or wait out the last mow?

When is your last mowing for your area and do you wait for that to do any maintenance? Maybe you just mow the last time and put things away as is? I figure the old packed grass is more likely to cause rust and problems with the deck because the grass holds the moisture but I'm not sure on that. Plus, the dead grass that falls off over the winter seems to be the perfect mouse housing material and I'd like to discourage that.

What do others do or think on mowing and maintenance time frame?

/ When is your last grass mowing and what is fall mower maintenance? #2  
My machines are in building that seldom goes below freezing ambient. Last mowing will be when leaves have fallen which will be a couple of weeks from now. Deck will come off and be carefully cleaned. Scrape old grass etc and garden hose wash. Blow the hidden bits dry with leaf blower. Grease what needs to be greased, sharpen blades and change oil. I may apply fluid film - not sure on that. I will back off tension on belt.

/ When is your last grass mowing and what is fall mower maintenance? #3  
Last mowing really depends on weather. Seems like every year I think I'm done and still need to mow a few more times.

I recommend you wait til you are done mowing for the maintenance.

/ When is your last grass mowing and what is fall mower maintenance? #4  
Welcome to my world pretty much mow all year, less this time of year thru march things grow all the year if not grass then weeds. You maintain mower when you get a chance change or sharpen blades when needed. Try and do it when cooler if you can. but I don't have to take mower off to clear snow always a plus.

/ When is your last grass mowing and what is fall mower maintenance? #5  
I think this was the last mowing this weekend. but technically the grass will get cut again when I pick up the leaves.

The leaves/sticks/acorns do a good job of cleaning the underside. I just put it away. I grease it and sharpen the blades in the fall if I have time, but don't until spring if I'm busy.

/ When is your last grass mowing and what is fall mower maintenance? #6  
Welcome to my world pretty much mow all year, less this time of year thru march things grow all the year if not grass then weeds. You maintain mower when you get a chance change or sharpen blades when needed. Try and do it when cooler if you can. but I don't have to take mower off to clear snow always a plus.

So you clear snow with the mower on in Florida, eh?

/ When is your last grass mowing and what is fall mower maintenance? #7  
I change mower blades about every 3 times mowing and clean out from under the deck each time. I keep a spare set of sharp blades so it is a 15 minute chore at most including scraping the underdeck. My oil change is yearly and I do that and grease the spindles as I put the mower(s) away for the winter.

/ When is your last grass mowing and what is fall mower maintenance? #8  
So you clear snow with the mower on in Florida, eh?
What I was trying to say is I don't have to take mower off because I don't have to clear snow. but as sorry and lazy as I am I probably try it.:thumbsup:

/ When is your last grass mowing and what is fall mower maintenance? #9  
Generally major service in December, grease monthly, change blades monthly ,clean grass on top and underneath weekly. Check air filter monthly change if needed

/ When is your last grass mowing and what is fall mower maintenance? #10  
Last mowing was 3 weeks ago. Clean, oil/air filter change, grease, sharpen, paint when time allows, hopefully before the snow flies. Then it waits until spring.