Massey Ferguson HELP

/ Massey Ferguson HELP #1  

chris7462

Tractor
massey ferguson
I have come into a massey ferguson tractor. #1, I have no idea the model, though it has a 180 emblem on it, and it looks like the pictures of a 180. #2 Was cutting grass with it today, no problems till i took a hard right, engine died and now won't start. Starter sounds strong, just won't start. Lots of questions here, hope some one can help. Serial number 9A5973@? Left the last one off

/ Massey Ferguson HELP #4  
Looks like it's a 1969 production 180 according to the one reference I could find. The next thing you'll want to do is get the serial number off the engine....it's on the left side, above the injector pump (usually).

One weak spot on the Perkins diesels seems to be the fuel lift pump...not very robust, and they can die suddenly. The good thing is that they're inexpensive, and easy to change. Any time an older (pre-computers and safety switches) diesel quits, it's almost always fuel. You'll have to work from fuel tank to the injectors to see if you're getting fuel to them. Start at the tank outlet, and check fuel coming from the tank to the lift pump, then from the filter, then from the pump to the injector pump, then from injector pump to injectors. It doesn't sound like a fuel filter issue (they don't normally just die completely), but once you start pulling the fuel system apart, you might as well put a new filter in it since you're going to have to bleed air out anyway.

Antique Tractor Serial Numbers - Yesterday's Tractors