I Need To Know How To Time Ferguson TO-20

/ I Need To Know How To Time Ferguson TO-20 #1  

FergusonFix

Tractor
Ferguson/TO-20
So, if the tractor wasn't out of time it is now. There, I confess, I might have made things worse then they were. Sorry. Ok? (LOL!) But really, I'm in need of instructions or links to video on details of timing the TO-20. Here's what I've done so far: At the compression stroke of #1 cylinder I rotate flywheel to 7 deg. BTDC, ............ after that I loosened distributor to listen for the spark but I hear none. If my procedure, thus far, is wrong, then, just tell what to do afresh. I am determined to fix this tractor for my dad. BTW, I believe the tractor has carb problems, too. But that's for another day. If anyone can set me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. P.S. I just have basic tools(no high tech please).

/ I Need To Know How To Time Ferguson TO-20 #2  
Low tech--- Leave flywheel at 7 degs on compression stroke. Mark distributor housing at #1 with a mark. Then pull cap off see where the rotor is pointing to, should be point to the mark you made. If not pull housing up and turn rotor to get it to line up with the mark you made. Engine should start then set timing with a timing light. When you pull the cap made sure you have 9 volts or more on both sides of the points with the points closed. You have a 12volt system I'm guessing, but a standard point system runs on 9 volts. Try this and it should at least start.

/ I Need To Know How To Time Ferguson TO-20 #3  
9v?

most of them old tractors were 6v!!!

and if points are closed. one side of them is ground. you won't measure any volts on ground. ;)

he said no high tech.. he din't say no tech at all! :)

/ I Need To Know How To Time Ferguson TO-20 #4  
FergusonFix I didn't know the tractor was like the old fords. You might not be able to do it like I said, because of the more and some had mags.mI one was a fairbanks and i think maybe a wisco. Maybe sound guy well see this, he knows the fords inside and out, so hold tight for awhile and see if he see this.

/ I Need To Know How To Time Ferguson TO-20 #5  
taking the dizzy cap off works just fine for lining up rotor to a coil tower .. don't really matter which tower is #1, as long as that wire goes to #1 cyl on comp stroke

/ I Need To Know How To Time Ferguson TO-20 #6  
As I remember with my Fergie, you're supposed to take a small plate off the front of the bell housing and find the timing mark on the flywheel. I never had much luck with that, so I always just put my finger over the number 1 plug hole or, if you want to be high tech about it, use a compression gauge to determine when the engine is at TDC, or close to it. I've always managed to get it close enough so that I can adjust the dist enough to get it where it needs to be. I've never used a timing light or marks on it. It's not hard to do.

/ I Need To Know How To Time Ferguson TO-20 #7  
agreed, it's usually esy enough to get close on at least the 2nd try for finding compression on #1... then seeing where the rotor is. then consult fire order and then populate the dizzy in the direction of engine rotation..

/ I Need To Know How To Time Ferguson TO-20
Low tech--- Leave flywheel at 7 degs on compression stroke. Mark distributor housing at #1 with a mark. Then pull cap off see where the rotor is pointing to, should be point to the mark you made. If not pull housing up and turn rotor to get it to line up with the mark you made. Engine should start then set timing with a timing light. When you pull the cap made sure you have 9 volts or more on both sides of the points with the points closed. You have a 12volt system I'm guessing, but a standard point system runs on 9 volts. Try this and it should at least start.

It is a 12 volt system. I did mark #1 on dist. cap. At one point, when flywheel @ 7 deg. on compression stroke, I pulled dist. cap off to see direction of rotor, I found it to be way off the marked #1 wire, but I was hesitant to assume this was wrong and correct it due to my lack of experience. Here's a question: Will TO-20's generally have #1 on dist. oriented the same or close? I ask because I have looked closely at videos of TO-20 wiring to get an idea of where our tractor's #1 should be. To establish #1. IF the rotor is indeed in the correct orientation(since it only goes one way)and is showing me true #1, then my original marks on the cap might be wrong. Right? I will try again asap to implement suggestions/procedures and truly appreciate all who are replying toward my query. Thanks again.

/ I Need To Know How To Time Ferguson TO-20 #9  
you can take out a distribuitor and insert it so that any coil tower CAN be #1, as long as that coil tower has the rotor pointing to it on the com stroke

so looking at pics of others may not be helping you!

/ I Need To Know How To Time Ferguson TO-20 #10  
also, any TO model is/was a 6v system. Someone converted yours.