Best tool for cleaning radiator while mowing.

/ Best tool for cleaning radiator while mowing. #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
It's that time of year again. Everybody is out mowing their fields. One of the tractors we are using has a broke heat gauge. And for some reason the weeds that tend to clog up a radiator are the thickest I have ever seen. I'm having to stop and clean my Kioti radiator every other trip round the field. So when I stop to clean it I clean the other tractor's, with the broke gauge, at the same time. Now my 89-year old mother is driving the bigger tractor. And before you jump on me for having her in the field you must know that she has been looking forward to doing the mowing for weeks. She is telling my sister's and her neighbors about all the wildlife she is seeing and about how much fun she is having. Anyway to the point of this post.

The first day we were at the farm she lives on and we would drive back to the house and use a water hose to clean the radiator. The second day Mom pulls out her battery powered leaf blower! It does as good or better job blowing all the thin junk out of the radiator housing. Even on my little tractor that has a screen over the radiator the little blower gets more out that any other way we have used. Put the thing at the edge of the field under a shade tree and pull over and blow it out, crank up and start mowing in two or three minutes at the most.

Remember all the newbies out there, if you are bushhogging keep a close eye on the heat gauge or risk ruining your tractor engine.

RSKY

/ Best tool for cleaning radiator while mowing. #3  
Sometimes while mowing you don't have access to water or air a long handle stiff brush will knock most of debris off until you can do it right.

/ Best tool for cleaning radiator while mowing. #4  
Im against using water "on the go" so to speak .. If you stop wash it out then go with things not dry that forms "mud" when dust meets wet.

I purchase furnace filters and fasten them with bungee cords.. Then when I stop remove the filter bang it against the tire put it back on and mow on

/ Best tool for cleaning radiator while mowing. #5  
My Kubota has a removable screen right in front of the radiator. Its in a slot with some spring at each side. Bend spring & pull out screen. Have to do that from each side if the loader is on & down, but it is still a 30 second procedure.

I'd strap some screen in front you can pull & clean easily.

/ Best tool for cleaning radiator while mowing. #6  
i am a bit against high pressure water and/or air... you can easily bend the fins on a radiator or like.

with above said, i have a standard generic air gun for the compressor, i have a short stubby end, (not really useful for radiator), i have about 7" long nozzle, it gets into the front and through the grill, and then i have a stiffer rubber hose end, i can attach to the air gun/blower, so i can feed it in through the engine compartment and hit the back side of the radiator.

ya need a large air compressor to make blowing things out with an air compressor quick and easy. say in 10 plus gallon tanks, with appropriate sized air compressor on it.

==============
leaf blowers are awesome, lots of air, and no extreme high pressures. and with an extension you can stand back a couple feet, and out of the way, and not get a face full of crud.

==============
i don't like using water... as blueriver noted. if ya going to go back at it... it just makes things a goober of a mess if not making a bigger mess. that and cold water on a hot radiator... doesn't sound very good to me, as in putting stress on things from rapid cooling. and getting water into other areas, i rather not have....

on other hand i do wash stuff down with water, but that is when stuff is getting put up and being put away. not during usage.

/ Best tool for cleaning radiator while mowing. #8  
Furnace filter and gas powered Emglo air compressor., To late in the year to mow now every thing is gone to seed in Ohio.

/ Best tool for cleaning radiator while mowing. #10  
I agree with the leaf blower. Once on a dozer that ran hot. Blew out radiator with air compressor. Seemed clean but sprayed with water hose and a lot more came out. So if you reach the end of the day, water is fine to clean it as long as you make sure it gets clean.