Oil & Fuel Winter storage

/ Winter storage #1  

owen h

Tractor
ford 860
Have a 1956 Ford 860 and want to know the best way to store it for the winter, should I totally drain the gas tank or fill it completly along with a gas stabilizer?
Owen H

/ Winter storage #2  
Mine sits most of the winter with no prep. Still does fine and tank looks good. Might just fill it, close fuel off at bottom of tank and drain fuel off bowl. As always when preparing for winter... check antifreeze.

/ Winter storage #3  
I have been storing various equipment for the past 50 years. Motorcycles, trucks, tractors, lawnmowers and cars. There will be many different opinions on what the best procedure is but I simply fill up the tanks on the various vehicles with stabilized Fuel. If I have time I will change oil and filters just before storage.as I live beside the ocean and have constant salt spray until the sea freezes I also will empty a can of WD-40 over as many of the metal surfaces as I can. For carbureted vehicles, and as previously suggested, I drain the carb bowls. I have two trickle chargers which get circulated so that each vehicle gets a charge about every three weeks. I am never had a vehicle failed to start in the spring. I still struggle with rodent nests as I prefer not to use poison.

/ Winter storage #4  
I'm very interested in hearing the opinions this thread will hopefully receive.
I've always been in the add stabilizer and don't worry camp. After rebuilding the float valves on my motorcycle this spring/summer I now wonder. I initially blamed it on ethanol, but now think it may have been rust from the tank.
I have the following options: -
- Shut tank off and run carbs out of gas.
- I also now see that's it's easy to drain the (4) carb bowls, so I'm tempted to store them dry. But, like running it out of gas, is this good?
- Should one fill the gas tank to prohibit rust? (I'm now saying yes! And it will be ethonal free if possible or heavily stabilized)

/ Winter storage #5  
You fill the tank or leave it empty as far as condensation concerns go. Our winters are yoyo winters... Sunday may be zero mid week may be above freezing, then dive back down. Personally I do not really do much to anything. Tractor is used little in winter and starts take a little longer than a hot summer day but it's cold. I do not drain my carb because a few months of sitting does not really build varnish. On the other hand I don't really care if it does varnish it's a 20 minute job to clean it up I have seen me do it.

/ Winter storage #6  
Hey Cory

I grew up in warren county. Almost neighbours. I think our bikes are a little more delicate. :). Been riding for 55 years and I always fill tanks for storage. No need to over stabilize. Just the recommended amount. My garage temp is from -10 c to 20 c. I heat it when I am in it and when I turn up heat condensation immediately forms. I have a friend who is a fuel chemist with local refinery and he indicated that current blends of fuel can start to varnish is as little as two weeks. Here, premium blend does not have alcohol so that is my storage fuel in all bikes.

I am new to the diesel world so I am listening and learning. We have a couple of quality diesel mechanics close so I plan to chat with them. My tractor will be used during winter so I am less concerned about that.

Two years ago I was gifted a 1975 Harley SX 175 that sat in a barn since 1976. It was parked full of fuel and not touched since. Now THAT was a lesson in varnish. :(

I'm very interested in hearing the opinions this thread will hopefully receive.
I've always been in the add stabilizer and don't worry camp. After rebuilding the float valves on my motorcycle this spring/summer I now wonder. I initially blamed it on ethanol, but now think it may have been rust from the tank.
I have the following options: -
- Shut tank off and run carbs out of gas.
- I also now see that's it's easy to drain the (4) carb bowls, so I'm tempted to store them dry. But, like running it out of gas, is this good?
- Should one fill the gas tank to prohibit rust? (I'm now saying yes! And it will be ethonal free if possible or heavily stabilized)