Oil & Fuel Routine maintenance

/ Routine maintenance #1  

kirklowj

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030
I do my own tractor maintenance on my B3030 but I was wondering just how much everyone goes by the manual recommendations. For instance, several years ago there was a thread on this forum that a lot of people favored putting 80-90wt gear oil in the front axle and forgetting about changing the oil, just check the level periodically. Also, is it necessary to change the SUDT fluid every 300hrs. as the manual suggests. Lastly, how often does everyone dismantle the fuel filter and clean it with kerosene. I'm not trying to shortcut any maintenance that is necessary, but the oil, filters etc. are not cheep and when you have several vehicles/equipment to maintain it can get costly. Just trying to eliminate any overkill.

Thanks in advance for any input.

/ Routine maintenance #2  
I pretty much go by the manual even if I occasionally go over a few hours. I can sure identify with the cost as we have several tractors and passenger vehicles. I don't clean my fuel filter, I just put a new one in.

/ Routine maintenance #3  
I follow the manual & buy cheap oil and filters. For my '12 BOOMER 50 (NH) I Have found all WIX numbers needed. Engine oil is cheap DELO 400 bought with some discount at COSTCO or similar business. All products are bought in advance on my shelf just to save time and keep me on time with maintenance with no trips to town. Transmission oils can be purchased at farm stores (TRACTOR SUPPLY CO--CAL-RANCH--WAL-MART--AGRI-SUPPLY STORE--NAPA) One must check oil specs for your application ( usually given in tractor manual and on oil bucket). They must match specs. Use the webb sites for cross reference. Wix, Phram, Puralator all have good sites--use filter numbers when possible GOOD LUCK <RS>

/ Routine maintenance #4  
Mostly by the book except the fuel filter. 685 hours on it with no problem.

/ Routine maintenance
I really don't have any issue with changing the engine oil and filter every 100hrs. I change the oil in all my vehicles every 5,000mi as well because I tend to keep them for at least 10+ years. It's when to change the hydro fluid in the tractor that cocerns me most. I changed it at the 50hr break-in period. At 50hrs. I put 80-90wt gear oil in the front axle and changed the hydro fluid in the rear with SUDT. I have checked each level periodically but didn't change anything but the engine oil at 600hrs. The hydo and gear oil levels are fine and the oil looks clean on the dipsticks. Is there really a need to change those oils? Also, I always use a diecel fuel additive and have never changed the fuel filter. The fuel in the filter bowl looks fairly clean and I would replace the filter before trying to clean it with kerosene as TripleR says in his quote. Has anyone had any problems getting the filter assembly to seal properly after changing the filter and bleeding the lines?

/ Routine maintenance #6  
I go by the owners manual. I do change engine oil and filer every year even though my annual hours average only 100. My new Kubota was a large investment that I really don't want to replace because I saved a little money trying to extend service intervals.

/ Routine maintenance #7  
the only sure way to tell if oil is bad or good, is to get a sample and have tests done on it. until then, your just guessing.

the engineers that had time intervals set in the operator manual. most likely ran through some calculations and other stuff to get those numbers. oil does not last for ever. and there is wear and tear that does happen. you may not be able to see by naked eye. but i would imagine the oil is full of crud. crud may be floating at the top surface of the oil.. to bottom of the drain area, to still suspended within the oil. the various additives, etc... in oil's due get used up over time, as they deal with crud, along with heating up and cooling down. to simply just setting there and not being used and stuff settling out ((kinda like colors in a paint can, that you need to stir up before painting)).

larger companies with a fleet of vehicles more likely have some sort of "pre maintance" that has someone sampling various oils and like, to see when things need to be changed. ((cost of labor and testing is cheaper than just changing at intervals set in manual for everything)), but for us home owners... cost of tests may be more costly and more of a hassle, than just doing the oil change at a given interval noted in manual.

/ Routine maintenance #8  
i go by my kubota book except on oil.we use DELO oil on all of our tractors.just like we did in our dump trucks.