The "straw" that breaks the camel's back, or.....

/ The "straw" that breaks the camel's back, or..... #21  
Re: The \"straw\" that breaks the camel\'s back, or.....

Man i need a bale compressor like you have. A bale that is 3.5" to 4" long would be great, but, dense /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Let me know where I can get one.

Dane

/ The "straw" that breaks the camel's back, or..... #22  

Hi
Now those I wouldn't mind picking up out of the field.

/ The "straw" that breaks the camel's back, or..... #23  

> but what does the pivot of the front axle have to do with tipping the tractor over on it's nose other than if you are on uneven terrain, your load balance will shift to one side if you go in a hole or run over a rock.

Huh? Unless your bucket is about touching the ground already, as the rear end lifts up, your tractor will shift to one side _on_ the front pivot point. If you have enough weight in the bucket to lift the rear wheels up, you certainly have enough weight to flip the tractor over to the side when it tilts to the side - while it is also tipping forward.

Frankly, from reading of all the times folks here have their rear wheels off the ground, I'm surprised there are so many still here.

I grew up using a narrow front end H tractor with a loader. There really is very little difference in a wide or narrow front end for loader work, contrary to popular belief. Both have that triangle due to the pivot in the front end of a wide front.

(Mark, I love your summary!)

--->Paul

/ The "straw" that breaks the camel's back, or..... #24  

Paul -

I grew up on a dairy farm. The first tractor I ever drove was a Farmall H with a narrow front end. I could just about reach the pedals when I started driving it! The bucket on our H loader was quite small and quite narrow. At the time, I didn't realize so much that the design was for stability.

Have you noticed that the early 4 wheel drive bucket loader machines (that didn't bend in the middle) were set up the opposite of a farm tractor? The solid axle is on the front, next to the bucket, and the rocking and steering axle was on the rear. This gave you more stability for handling big bucket loads and heavy digging. I got some time running one of those, too. My dad had a Hough Payloader.

Not to take anything away from Mark, but I think it was my summary you were complimenting. Thanks for agreeing with me! I thought I was on the right track, but it's always good to hear that someone else concurs. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dennis

/ The "straw" that breaks the camel's back, or..... #25  

Higgy:

Those are staw pellets, not bales. They are sized for old men with a back that's real weak.
Egon

/ The "straw" that breaks the camel's back, or..... #26  

Looks like I should stop doing "this"

Egon

Last edited:
   / The "straw" that breaks the camel's back, or..... #27  

When using pallet forks to "dump" stuff, the weight shifts forward as the stuff rolls to the end of the forks. I once had an interesting experience when using my forks to load some demolition debris (railrod ties from an old retaining wall) into a trailer. I was in a hurry and skipped putting the counter-weight on. I figured I would just pick few enough ties per load that would be light enough to not worry about the counter-weight.

Everything was fine until I lifte one heavier load (they were still spiked together) up high enough to dump on top of the pile on the trailer. As I dumped them onto the pile, the weight shift 36 inches further forward on the forks caused the tractor to start getting light in the rear. There was no way to pull the ties back quickly. I ended up setting the loader arms down on the edge of the trailer, scratching the paint on my trailer fender.

- Rick