Ford 8N no oil pressure

/ Ford 8N no oil pressure #1  

cfb

Bronze Member
Tractor
1949 Ford 8N, Ingersoll 448, Ford 16HP Diesel
Hi Friends,
when we ended some time ago, I primed the pump like advised via that relief valve and had good pressure quite promptly. I replaced a few plug wires and the tractor faithfully started and still does start. But after about 8 months, after starting every month or so and having pressure, the next time, no pressure. So I procrastinated till now, almost a year now. Went through the priming again, last three days, but nothing. Disconnected the tube at the gauge hopeful, but nothing came out. Engine still starts good. So, is the next step dropping the oil pan? When I had changed the oil about a year ago which was my first time, there was a screen at the drain plug and the pick up tube was in tact. Is there anything to try before dropping the pan? thanks everyone. cfb

/ Ford 8N no oil pressure #2  
If you pull the filter and get no oil flow while cranking, I'd say it's time to drop the pan. I'm not familiar with the 8N in particular, so if there's something specific to this model that I'm not aware of someone please chime in. But dropping the pan shouldn't be a big job, then you can look for obvious mechanical problems - broken/leaky/bent pickup tube - or change the pump.

/ Ford 8N no oil pressure
Thanks Beeferman,
I did not think of removing the oil filter as that is closer to the source of flow. Thanks for suggesting. Pick up tube seemed solid when I changed the oil, but maybe that is not a foolproof indicator. It would be nice if I just had a clog somewhere in the lines, but if not, then the pump is probably the problem as I've heard others say their tractor has sat for longer times and pressure is achieved right awy. I would appreciate hearing from others about dropping the pan. I don't mnd trying new repair jobs, just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into. If like a watch where things can fall all over the place and not have a clue how it fits back together, I want to proceed with caution. I hear how"easy" it is to work on these old tractors, but that may be coming from guys rebuilding these all their life. More later.

/ Ford 8N no oil pressure #4  
I've never dropped the pan on an 8N, but have on a 600 series and I think they're similar? I agree that the pump is most likely your problem, but if the pick up is sucking air that could also cause your symptoms...