Harm to charging system by using a lower-amp battery?

/ Harm to charging system by using a lower-amp battery? #1  

Vtnewbie

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 4720 with loader and backhoe
Is there a real risk of harm to a tractor's charging system by substituting a lower amperage battery as a replacement?

Current battery is a 7 year old 1000 CCA (just about plumb wore out), and the closest I can get off-the-shelf is 800 CCA.

/ Harm to charging system by using a lower-amp battery? #2  
Not at all. Go for it.

Fred

/ Harm to charging system by using a lower-amp battery? #3  
Lower CCA just means you wont have the extra reserve power in hard to start situations. It still puts out 12 volts (well 14 really) which is how the charging systems determines fully charged.

/ Harm to charging system by using a lower-amp battery? #4  
As the others have already stated, no problem.

Think of the battery as a box of water and the charging system as you pouring water at a steady rate.
You just dump water in until it is full, then you stop.
You will fill a smaller battery before a larger one [you are pouring at the same rate in all cases], and you will only put in enough water to come to the top.

Same thing if you go with a bigger battery than stock, if you can fit it in there, the electricals won't know or care either way.
The load is starting the motor, and any lights/gizmos you have on there.
They will only take what they need and no more, regardless of the size of the battery.

Just don't cross the wires <-- safety tip

/ Harm to charging system by using a lower-amp battery? #5  
Interstate makes 1000CCA amp marine batteries and they are available most anywhere. I used to sell Interstate when I had my foreign auto shop, and use them in everything I own.

/ Harm to charging system by using a lower-amp battery? #6  
i agree, the last 4dlt i bought was a cheaper tractor supply job and was 8?? cca vs a hd 10?? cca battery it replaced,

/ Harm to charging system by using a lower-amp battery? #7  
i agree, the last 4dlt i bought was a cheaper tractor supply job and was 8?? cca vs a hd 10?? cca battery it replaced,

Just did an analysis of local 4DLT batteries because all of a sudden my NH F150 battery is non-competitive. Turns out TSC and NAPA 4DLT batteries are 800 CCA and the NH is 1000 CCA. All made by Exide.

/ Harm to charging system by using a lower-amp battery? #8  
Is there a real risk of harm to a tractor's charging system by substituting a lower amperage battery as a replacement?

Not at all - especially downsizing only 20%. The only risk is not having enough oomph to start the machine when it is cold outside, but at only a 20% reduction, I don't think you'll notice a difference in anything.

/ Harm to charging system by using a lower-amp battery? #9  

Current battery is a 7 year old 1000 CCA (just about plumb wore out), and the closest I can get off-the-shelf is 800 CCA.
,,,No.

/ Harm to charging system by using a lower-amp battery? #10  
Just did an analysis of local 4DLT batteries because all of a sudden my NH F150 battery is non-competitive. Turns out TSC and NAPA 4DLT batteries are 800 CCA and the NH is 1000 CCA. All made by Exide.

Sound slike what I saw.

i needed 2 of them a few weeks ago. napa had none, and my 'local' ( 45m ) CNH dealer pretty much is a lawnmower place now. TSC was the only place that had one without more than a 60m drive or longer... and yup., 800 or so CCA. I'd have paid the extra 40$ for the higher CCA bats.

Just put bats in my 99 f35o and better believe i put in the larges cca i could find... not that florida gets cold very long... but noce for things like inverters on the farm not near shore power..e tc.