New grouser bar on 450C

/ New grouser bar on 450C #1  

greenmojo

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300, John Deere 450C
My traction had been slowly degrading over the past year or so with the dozer, and finally it was bad enough that I could barely get any type of cut going, before I was spinning and fighting for grip.

I didn't even know grouser bar was an option, and a local rock quarry owner suggested hitting up Pape for some grouser bar.

My brother came up and over about 3 days or so, welded on new bar on both tracks.

What a difference it makes, it feels like a completely different machine, and moves dirt like a dozer actually should.

10 sticks was about $300 from Pape.

~Moses

IMG_7174.jpg

IMG_7185.jpg

IMG_7189.jpg

IMG_7221.jpg

Last edited:
   / New grouser bar on 450C #2  
Looks much easier than how my dad used to build up grousers, which involved many passes with a mig welder. The only downside is, with so much traction you will make a mess turning.

/ New grouser bar on 450C #3  
Bet that took more than a pound or two of rod... how much of what did you use?

/ New grouser bar on 450C
Looks much easier than how my dad used to build up grousers, which involved many passes with a mig welder. The only downside is, with so much traction you will make a mess turning.

You nailed it... My first turn down near the gate, left piles of dirt 8 inches high...

Bet that took more than a pound or two of rod... how much of what did you use?

Bought a 50 pound can of structural 7018, and used about 1/3 of that I'd wager.

Nice looking job

My brother deserves the credit for welding, its his day job... I am a crappy welder, bought me a new Miller Digital Elite with flames on it... yeah, didn't help... still a crappy welder. ;-)

~Moses

/ New grouser bar on 450C #6  
He did a pretty nice job. How much grouser height did you gain adding the bars ? They looked like they were about 1-1/4 inch or so to start with maybe.

He did a pretty nice job. How much grouser height did you gain adding the bars ? They looked like they were about 1-1/4 inch or so to start with maybe.

I'll grab a tape and check, I wouldn't want them any taller actually. Now instead of spinning, I have so much traction that it will just bog the engine down.

~Moses

/ New grouser bar on 450C #8  
What gear do you run? On our 450E's, my dad likes 2H but I prefer 2L.

What gear do you run? On our 450E's, my dad likes 2H but I prefer 2L.

2L, and sometimes kick it down lower when trying to get things "just right".

The grouser bar is now around 2 inches on most of the tracks... Been running it in the snow the last few days and just love it.

~Moses

/ New grouser bar on 450C #10  
I see this is a pretty old thread but have a question about welding on grousers. I have a JD 450E. Has anyone used flat bar instead of the premade bars used in this thread. If so any downside. I was thinking about just getting some 1/2 or 3/4" x 1" flat bar, cutting into 16" lengths and welding them to shoes.