Work Shoes?

/ Work Shoes? #1  

Raised on a Deere

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford Dexta, Branson 6530c Yanmar Lx490 Power reverser
On another thread "I should have got a tractor years ago" one poster mentioned in addition to many other benefits mentioned that your bones and joints would thank you in years to come. I have to say amen to that. I am 76 enjoying good health but for last 10 years most of my work had been sedentary even though I still do all my own house repair, and car maintenance. Joints stiffness was just chalked up to getting older. Now after about a year of enjoying the tractor with loader that I always felt I needed but was sheepish in justifying I can say that the health benefits are amazing. Joints have loosened up, balance is better and I just plain feel better. And I am getting so much done that I could not with out the right equipment.

But I have not taken care of one important piece of business. None of the shoes I have seem to be suited for what I am doing. I will pass on steel toes but otherwise I need a good lightweight but sturdy hightop shoe that works well in rough ground, when working with brush, or in dirt and gravel around building sites. And of course getting on and off of tractor when grappling or bushhogging and the like. My son had a pair of Catepillar brand that did not fit him but did me and I wore them for two or three days and they are just too clumsy, do not work well on hilly ground. hiking boots seem to work pretty well but the ones I have do not have tops that are sturdy enough. I know it is subjective but I would like to find out if there is a type of shoe that some think are really great.

I had a pair of timberline something or other about25 years ago that I just thought were perfect. I wore them completely out (weekend warrior stuff) and for the past several years have need something to take their place. At the time I talked some friends into buying them and they also liked them. So I know that there is such a thing as a shoe that is just better than the cut of the mill.

What do like in the way of a light but strong and supportive shoe.

/ Work Shoes? #2  
Redwing.

I bought my first pair 10 years ago, and still wear them at least 3-4 days a week. Best boots I've ever owned. I've since bought Redwing shooes for myself.

I've had two problems with my boots: First problem was the fit. They just seemed too big. After wearing them for a year, they replaced them at no cost for a smaller size. The second problem was when the soles wore out. They replaced them for a minimal fee.

At this rate, they should last me for the rest of my life.

J

/ Work Shoes? #3  
Yep, Red Wing.

Go to a red wing shoe store, not an authorized retailer. There is a difference. More choices, experienced help, and all they sell are shoes and boots.

/ Work Shoes? #4  
I like Merrell's Moab high tops (mid they call them).
Very comfortable out of the box - they stock size 14 in medium width, which is as close to AA as I'm ever going to see at that price.
They last & last. They give me a good sense of balance - not so bulky that I feel clumsy like my steel toe boots do. Very important if you have to get on and off the tractor a lot.

/ Work Shoes? #5  
I dont have red wing. I do have steel toes. I do some welding and play with steel. I like the high top support for my ankles. They are heavier but I want to make sure I am not going to get a broken toe.

/ Work Shoes? #6  
I have always had luck with Wolverine, however, the most comfortable boots I have ever owned were made by Chippewa.

/ Work Shoes? #7  
All of us go through this same search. The hardest part of the criteria for me was to find good work shoes that did not track dirt into the house and I was tired of washing mud off the soles. I wear a very wide shoe and the only one that I could find had to be ordered on-line. Justin makes a really great all leather lace up work boot with 8 inch high tops and a steel toe that you will never know is there except when you need it. They also make a 10 inch pull on work boot with steel toe that works really well on the farm. They are so comfortable that you can wear them 16 hours a day. They are still made in the USA and the sizes still match what they did 50 years ago!

/ Work Shoes? #8  
I have 2 pair of Merrills, one I wear for working and the other for going out/socializing. Like another poster says, they are very comfortable right out of the box. Absolutely no break in.

/ Work Shoes? #9  
I have 2 pair of Merrills, one I wear for working and the other for going out/socializing. Like another poster says, they are very comfortable right out of the box. Absolutely no break in.

I too (or three) endorse the Merrill Mohabs. I have a new pair for work and buy new every fall and the last year pair go to the farm for weekend shoes (recycle, I guess :D).
I had a major foot injury that required 3 surgeries, 7 pins and custom orthotics to walk again. My Dr suggested a local shoe store specializing in foot injuries and the first shoe they put me in was the Mohab high top. They are available in wide and 1/2 sizes off the shelf (Academy has a good selection). They provide a good foundation, ankle support and breathable. Only downside is the sole is a lug type and will track all the junk you have been stomping in inside!
I just bought one of the brush type boot cleaners and give em' a good scraping before going inside. At night I just kick em' off and wear a slipper.