JD 24T Versus NH 268 baler

/ JD 24T Versus NH 268 baler #21  
If you can find an older Allis Chalmers Rotobaler in good condition that would be a great match for that size tractor, as i have seen Allis Chalmers c's pull them as well as small kioti's. You are asking a lot of that tractor to bale that much hay a year, i don't doubt the tractor will do it but for how long? That would be my worry.
We have always run NH however and believe they make a great baler, but Deere makes a good baler as well. The thing i noticed on the Deere is the flywheel location which is inline with the tractor i think this could cause more forward and backward force on the tractor than the NH with front flywheel that is perpendicular and might put less strain on the tractor than the Deere.

/ JD 24T Versus NH 268 baler
scouter16.. 1st time I've ever seen one of those....cool the way it works, but small round bales wouldn't fly in this area. Thanks for the input on the balers. I'd like to be able to get a larger (hp) tractor, but used prices are insane. LOL some day..... Jack

/ JD 24T Versus NH 268 baler #24  
Go with some old iron, even if you just use it to pull the baler. Shouwl be able to get an older IH, Oliver, or Allis for 1-4k in decent shape

/ JD 24T Versus NH 268 baler #25  
They are both good machines.
There is a New Holland and John Deere dealership within 5 miles of my place. The New Holland really doesn't care about the hay business, only big combines. The JD will work on old junk in the field on a Sunday evening. 200 miles south where my father in law lives, its the opposite.

/ JD 24T Versus NH 268 baler #26  
As much as people think they are "Too Old", baler design has changed little since they were built. In fact, John Deere and New Holland both still use basically the same knotters now as they used on the 24T and 268. Sure there has been some improvements, but not as much as you would think. We had an International 47 baler that we ran until the sheet metal wore threw. Keep up the maintenance and all those old balers will perform well.

/ JD 24T Versus NH 268 baler #27  
I've run both balers with IH 300 utility, ford 600, ford 800. The new Holland we much preferred over the 2 14t's and 24t that we owned. We were JD baler guys until we used a nh. Good luck.

/ JD 24T Versus NH 268 baler #28  
Bought a 24T earlier this year and did about 12 tons of hay to try it out using a Kioti 45HSE. Even the 45 will rock a bit when stopped. The only problem I had with the 24T was a bill hook scraper breaking due to fatigue. I was amazed to find that the local JD dealer had the scraper and the twine knives in stock. $50 and a day later I was back in business.

/ JD 24T Versus NH 268 baler #29  
Check your hitch height (14" --> 17" and f/a distance drawbar pin to end of the tractor pto shaft (14"). Baler drive shaft horizontal.