Tilling Tips

/ Tilling Tips #21  
How about some sort of drag behind the tiller to level and smooth the tilled ground :confused3:

/ Tilling Tips #22  
keep lids tight to the ground , Raise and lower on the move there should be no holes or piles ?

/ Tilling Tips #23  
After seeing some of your comments about moving, and not stopping, I had to chuckle. I never though of starting from a stop, or stopping at the end of a row. If others are doing that you will definitely have ridges and valleys. I till like a crop duster flies... swoop in to start and lift out at the end of the row, never changing the pace.

/ Tilling Tips
Thanks again for the tips......Newbies do have their problems, don't they. And fencing does complicate the start position in my case since I have to back in to make each run. But come spring, I hope to raise my performance to the "Sharpshooter" level....but not to an "Expert" probably. Ultimately, I might make the other end removable also. Having the Kubota, plow and tiller has changed everything.(see post #1). Actually I can't see any improvement in my crops, but just have more fun getting it in.....Next is to figure out row spacing and cultivation while sitting on my butt.:laughing:

/ Tilling Tips #26  
A reverse-rotation tiller will solve problem #1. It will not solve problem #2.

/ Tilling Tips
50 x 100 feet of rich composted black dirt... with an 8 ft deer fence all around except for one end that I remove the T-posts and roll it up to a corner for access with the tractor. The other end has a gate for access with my roto-tiller walk behind, wheelbarrow etc. which was the only access until now. None of this was a problem until the Kubota/plow/tiller got involved. Last year I unrolled the open end to reinstall the deer fence, which I'll do again as the years follow after the Kubota is out of there. I've been cultivating with the walk behind and hoe, since fooling with the fence is such a PITA. Right now there are deer tracks in the tilled garden with the end still open.
You know, if a guy really wanted to, this garden could produce both meat and potatoes.:D

Last edited:
   / Tilling Tips #28  
Thanks again for the tips......Newbies do have their problems, don't they. And fencing does complicate the start position in my case since I have to back in to make each run. But come spring, I hope to raise my performance to the "Sharpshooter" level....but not to an "Expert" probably. Ultimately, I might make the other end removable also. Having the Kubota, plow and tiller has changed everything.(see post #1). Actually I can't see any improvement in my crops, but just have more fun getting it in.....Next is to figure out row spacing and cultivation while sitting on my butt.:laughing:

See this thread of mine to take care of the row spacing. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...iller-added-row-markers.html?highlight=tiller
You won't believe the time is saves.

/ Tilling Tips
Thanks 850 for that reference. TBN'ers probably would never find that doing the "search" . It looks like a lot of gardeners will be interested in your invention. Now one can set the space on his cultivator and go...if I decide to buy a cultivator. Darn, these veggies are getting expensive for one who is not in the business of selling them.

/ Tilling Tips #30  
I Till a lot of beaches and the problem at the end of a row is common lifting and slowing rpms down helps but something I do for some of my customers who want a smooth beach is to take tiller off and rake beach with a landscape rake levels and takes the fluff out.