Ford 1710 replace alternator belt

/ Ford 1710 replace alternator belt #1  

FrancisKingzett

Tractor
Ford 1710
Hi,

I have an old Ford 1710 4x4 tractor with an after market front end loader and backhoe I bought about 10 years ago. Tractor still runs great after almost 40 years and fortunately has needed nothing but very minor repairs and fluid changes while I have owned it. I say fortunately because I am not that great at fixing things.

Recently the alternator belt has begun slipping and making noise. It is tightened as far as possible and still loose. I need to replace it. Problem is I can't figure out how to get it off or to get a new one on. The shaft in front of it goes right to what I assume is a front PTO and there is no way to get the belt around it.

Sorry if it is a stupid question but I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

/ Ford 1710 replace alternator belt #2  
My father had 4 I.H. forklifts with that same problem. The shaft for the hydraulic pump ran through the radiator. Even a heavy equipment mechanic could not figure out how to take it apart. The practical solution was to find a Twist Link belt. They can be found on Ebay. Since the links come apart, the belt can be installed without taking anything apart. And when the belt stretches, you can take links out. The downsides I found are: at least double the price of a V- belt, they stretch more, and they wear faster. But they will get you out of a bind, and work well.

/ Ford 1710 replace alternator belt #3  
Hi,

I have an old Ford 1710 4x4 tractor with an after market front end loader and backhoe I bought about 10 years ago. Tractor still runs great after almost 40 years and fortunately has needed nothing but very minor repairs and fluid changes while I have owned it. I say fortunately because I am not that great at fixing things.

Recently the alternator belt has begun slipping and making noise. It is tightened as far as possible and still loose. I need to replace it. Problem is I can't figure out how to get it off or to get a new one on. The shaft in front of it goes right to what I assume is a front PTO and there is no way to get the belt around it.

Sorry if it is a stupid question but I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

I have to assume the hydraulic pump drive going to the crankshaft is what you are talking about. Generally, the pump will unbolt and slide away to allow enough room to put a new belt on.

/ Ford 1710 replace alternator belt #4  
I had a similar problem. I ended up bolting an extension on the generator bracket so I could move it enough to tighten the belt. It worked.

/ Ford 1710 replace alternator belt
Thank you for all the replies. Been working 12 hour shifts last few nights and didn't get chance to reply.

At the suggestion of an old neighbor I looked more closely at the shaft. There appears to be a joint or whatever it is called with a release right before it reaches the front pto. Not sure how I am supposed to reach it since it is in a really tight spot but if I can disconnect it I should be able to slip the belt over the fan and then over the end. If I can't manage it I will buy one of those adjustable belts and see if it holds up. I don't use the tractor often but it is a great thing to have when you need one.