Solar Batter Tenders

/ Solar Batter Tenders
What kind of shape is that starter in ? Just thinking .

When I jump it, it seems to crank her over no problem. At this point I believe its a combination of the oil and temperature, as well as the battery having been drained to only 50 percent capacity. Ill check the generator w/ the tractor running to make sure its still charging properly and if it is, the disconnect and the solar panel SHOULD keep the thing topped off hopefully.

I have a solar panel very much like the one you are using. Originally, I used it to help keep a charge in a battery for an electric fence (but it couldn't keep up with the drawdown). Now, I'm thinking of hanging the solar panel in the back window of my tractor cab, connected to the battery through a cigarette lighter plug (the stock one is hooked up through the ignition, so I can't use it without some rewiring). Oh, my tractor lives outdoors all the time.
Bob

This 14 dollar kit I bought comes w/ the cigarette lighter connection as well.

/ Solar Batter Tenders #62  
After your battery is fully charged, and on a sunny day, go check the voltage on your battery with you tractor disconnected and the solar charger "floating" the battery for several days, and it should be above 13 volts.

/ Solar Batter Tenders #63  
If your battery was drawn down and left sitting for weeks/months, it could be sulfated and in less than optimum shape now. It might not hold a good charge.

/ Solar Batter Tenders
Got the battery charged up (had to buy a charger) and reinstalled it yesterday. It was only about 40, but she turn right over on the 2nd or 3rd real chug. Used the disconnect and NOT the solar charger before I left so we will see how well just the disconnect will manage.

/ Solar Batter Tenders #65  
Anything that has to plug in is DEFINATELY out of the question. Do they make quick disconnects for the battery terminals? Maybe if I could just throw a switch or something to disconnect the battery it wouldn't be able to drain down at all.
Lots of ways to fix your issues:

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/418617-battery-tenders.html#post5560971

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...-stupid-stupid-stupid-battery-troubles-4.html

Many more where they came from. :D

Max

/ Solar Batter Tenders #66  
   / Solar Batter Tenders #67  
Max, hopefully the OP isn't still trying to get an answer to his question. This thread is five years old. :)

Hmm, this was in the "Todays Posts" forum list, when I answered it. Didn't look at dates. lol

Ahh well, still useful info I guess. :laughing::thumbsup:

Max

/ Solar Batter Tenders #68  
I have solar battery tenders on the battery for our gate and the battery for the electric fence charger. These work well. The panels for the gate have built-in tenders; whereas, the one for the fence has a little Battery Tender in the line between the solar panel and the battery. Both these are really low drain. The gate is a bit more. Have to take the battery out once or twice/yr to recharge it. A little utility battery works as short time sub. Have 2 panels on the gate in parallel.

Tried a solar panel on the big marine battery on the Isuzu diesel generator. It was not enough. That battery runs 2 LCD panels: 1 on the generator and the other on the panel inside the house. A regular outside 120v Battery Tender works great on it.

Ralph

/ Solar Batter Tenders #69  
I have a question on Desulfating Charges/Maintainers. Since they operate on high frequency voltage spikes are they safe to use and do they still work properly with the battery still connected to the vehicle or do you have to disconnect the battery ?? Thanks.

gg

/ Solar Batter Tenders #70  
I have a question on Desulfating Charges/Maintainers. Since they operate on high frequency voltage spikes are they safe to use and do they still work properly with the battery still connected to the vehicle or do you have to disconnect the battery ?? Thanks.

gg

No need to disconnect the batteries. I have both a full sized Schumacher auto charger with desulfating mode, and a small BatteryMinder which desulfates. I've used them on cars, trucks, tractors, you name it. Sometimes left on for weeks. Zero electronics issues.