What the heck are spin out wheels???

/ What the heck are spin out wheels??? #1  

HarleyHetz

Tractor
Ford 3000
So this Ford 3000 I'm looking at has "Spin Out Wheels". What the heck are they, and why would you want/not want them???

/ What the heck are spin out wheels??? #3  
Spin out wheels have rails welded to the rim in a spiral direction. To move the tires in or our, you loosen the clamps holding the center portion of the rim to the outer rim, place a stop pin in the hole (several holes are drilled in the rail at various points) where you want the rim to stop. Then if you want to move the rim out, you put the tractor in forward gear and spin the tire till the inner rim hits the stop, then tighten the stops. To move it in, do all the previous but put in reverse gear and spin the tire.
It is a quick way to move the rear tires in and out on tractors with a fixed axle length. Larger tractors have an extended axle length that you have to slide the wheel in and out on after loosening bolts, jacking up the tractor etc. so they don't usually have any spin out rims.

/ What the heck are spin out wheels???
Makes perfect sense, especially after looking at them last night!!! Thanks guys!!

/ What the heck are spin out wheels??? #5  
Massey had there own PAVT wheels (Power activated Variable Track). Same idea. Again useful if kept clean and lubed. Use the independent rear breaks to apply more tension to intransigent rims, usually one goes easily and the other is of questionable parentage.

/ What the heck are spin out wheels??? #6  
AKA power adjust wheels. I've seen power adjusted wheels on tractors that also have wheels that can be adjusted on axles also

/ What the heck are spin out wheels??? #7  
I first learned how to operate them on an AC WD45.

/ What the heck are spin out wheels??? #8  
1429-FARMALL-SPIN-OUT-RIMS-1.JPG

spin-out-wheel-photo.jpg

/ What the heck are spin out wheels??? #9  
I first learned how to operate them on an AC WD45.

Me too. I think Allis Chalmers was the first to offer them and they were standard on the WD and WD45.

/ What the heck are spin out wheels??? #10  
Dad's massey 135 has them... slick design. They do wear to the point that the clamping wedge won't tighten completely, then they wear worse due to the movement as the tire rolls. Then new rims and wedges are needed.