Exhaust Fumes

/ Exhaust Fumes #1  

JDGREEN4ME

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, John Deere X534, GT 225, GT 275
I would like to be able to hook an exhaust hose to the end of the tractor exhaust to run it outside the shed when I start the tractor up. Even with the doors open the fumes build up to a level that is uncomfortable (even after the tractor is out of the shed). I have seen these set-ups in auto garages just thought it might be a good idea. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Exhaust Fumes #2  
that's a great idea. some of the firehalls around here have a system on thier trucks. it hooks to the exaust, and stays on, till the truck gets to the door, then it releases and retracts into the hall. a little expensive, but it's a nice system.

/ Exhaust Fumes #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( just thought it might be a good idea )</font>

I certainly think it's a good idea; just have to make sure it doesn't get clogged up by anything and is of a material that can stand the exhaust heat.

/ Exhaust Fumes #4  
I believe that if you check some automotive suppliers online, they will have flexible hose made especially for venting exhaust outside. We have the retractable type in the shop with an exhaust fan attached but it probably cost more than your tractor did. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Exhaust Fumes #5  
If you want to add a little extra vacuum to the exhaust hose, you could get one of the in-line style bathroom exhaust fans. Put it far enough down the line that the gasses are cool enough. I am not a diesel mechanic, but would a long length of hose with no fan affect the back pressure on the exhaust system? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Exhaust Fumes #6  
We used to use flexible silicone hoses that we merely slipped over the exhaust pipe of a car we were servicing. The hose was routed to a gadget on the overhead door that reminded me of a gun port on an armored car with a swing up aluminum door on it. We slipped the hose out the exhaust port on the door so we could work on the car while it was running. It was a pretty simple deal and it worked. I would think that any major supplier to the automotive industry would offer them. Our local supplier was Myers Tire & Supply, maybe there is also one in your area.

/ Exhaust Fumes
I was also wondering about the back pressure and if it would be an issue or not /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Exhaust Fumes #8  
Macmaster Carr ( # 5475K18 ) or any local ductwork supply outlet, would be able to get what you need. I'd go a little big ( 2" or 3" ) and fabricate some sort of pliable plug with a hole drilled that will hold the hose on the exhaust pipe and allow for easy hook-up and removal. JUst keep the run as short as possible.

If you go with a fan, I'd make the attachement to the tractor open so the fan can induce airflow at a rate greater than the tractor exhaust. A funnel shaped collector may work ? A solid state speed control will work well to set the airflow.

/ Exhaust Fumes #9  
I'm not an engineerbut I would imagine unless he intends to run the engine at full throttle or close to it or under a load for any length of time, it should have minimal affect on back pressure, especially if the exhaust line out the building is somewhat larger than the tractor exhaust.

/ Exhaust Fumes #10  
Why not just buy a house clothes drier vent? Attach it near the bottom of your garage door. The flap would stay down when you raise the garage door and shouldn't get in the way.

Just reduce it to the size of your hose (other suggestions on where to get it from others) with duct tape of maybe some reduction gizmo.

Diesel exhaust wouldn't get as hot as gasoline engine exhaust because of the extra cooling due to the much higher compression ratio. This is one reason why diesels are more efficient, less heat out the exhaust.

Ralph