Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one

/ Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one #11  
I would think faster starts with less glow plug & cranking duration would mean longer battery & starter motor lives.
Less thermal shock, if the heat's on long enough to warm up the block itself, and not just the coolant.

/ Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one
I have one on my B7800 and if it's 30 f or below outside, I use it.
For most of my engine starts, the outside temps are usually in the 20s. I've started it before in the 20s, without the use of the block heater and it starts harder(turns over more before starting) once started it seems to struggle to idle and it clatters pretty badly. I know....I know.... it's a diesel and that's how diesels perform in cold weather. It just sounds like it's a real strain on the engine.
With the block heaters warmth the engine acts more like it's being started in the summer. Engine turns over much less before it starts, it idles like it is suppose too and it is a lot less noisy. Maybe the block heater is not necessary, but I feel better about it just because the engine acts better with the block heaters use.

I plug my block heater in about 15-30 minutes before I start my B7800 , depending on the outside temp.
I knew of one guy who left the block heater plugged in 24/7, when his tractor was not in use and his tractor was not started on a daily bases either.
That all changed, when the guys wife saw the electric bill.

I have always used a electric space heater or torpedo heater to warm equipment up in unheated sheds for about one hour before start. Does help it start better in the sence of no smoke and sputtering, but was wondering if it was worth all the hassle of running the cords and getting things set up to pre warm and also the cost of running space heater or torpedo heater for that hour. I use equipment just about everyday so I have to pre warm alot if I am going to do it. All the equipment will start down to 15 f without prewarming.

So I guess it will save wear and tear. Is it worth it though. Lots of cost and hassle for as much as I do it.

Sometimes equipment is left on log landings with no electric near by also.

I have thought about putting lower radiator hose heaters in. That might take some of the hassle away, but dont they draw a bit of electric?

Still dont have my mind made up if pre warming is worth it.

/ Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one #13  
I have block heaters in all my equipment and plug them in min. of 2 hrs. before use. The tractor I use almost every day so it's on a timer to be one from 4 AM to 9 AM because if I'm going to use it it will be before 9. I start using the block heaters as soon as the temp is around freezing or close to it. Many benefits as stated by others including less starter fatigue.

/ Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one #14  
The block heater on mine is plugged in IF I am going to use the tractor on any particular day for about 4 hours. The temps gotta be 32F or lower. Both the Jeep and the tractor block heaters are on remote switches. I just go to the kitchen window and click on which ever one I need first and the block heater turns on. (Both are on the same 15 amp circuit so I can't run them both at the same time.) The remotes are marked and the keys are different so I can't get them mixed up.

Last year in Feb. I tried the 24/7 for the whole month and just about crapped my drawers when I saw my hydro bill. NEVER again will I be that stupid.

/ Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one #15  
The largest block heaters are 1500watt, 120 volt units that draw 12.5amps, or 1.5Kw/hr of electricity. 1.5Kw/hr x you Kw/hr rate x hours of peration will give you your operating cost. So:

1.5Kw/hr x $0.14251 (my local power rate) = $0.213765/hr x 24 hours = $5.13036/day x 30 days = $153.9108/month to operate the largest engine block heater 24/7 for a month.

A 400 watt heater 0.4Kw/hr x $0.14251 = $0.057004/hr x 24 = $1.368096/day x 30 days = $41.04288/month

So, in my area, with my power rates, an engine block heater will cost between $0.057/hr to $0.213765/hr to operate depending on the size of the block heater.

Diesel fuel here costs $1.01/lite or $3.8178/gal. At a consumption rate (best guess at idle) of 1/2gal/hr and warming for 10 minutes before moving, one would use $0.3187863 in fuel x 30 days = $9.563589/month

The above of course doesn't take into account the cost of decreased battery life, decreased starter life, and costs associated with increased engine wear. And of course, most only leave a block heater on for a maximum of 10-12 hours/day. If you have a timer to use with your engine block heater, that by far is the best way to go.

/ Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one #16  
DHD,

Very well said! My JD's (previous 2305 and current 2520) always started with just the glow plugs, but like you I really prefer the experience of starting a "pre-warmed" diesel.

Frank

For most of my engine starts, the outside temps are usually in the 20s. I've started it before in the 20s, without the use of the block heater and it starts harder(turns over more before starting) once started it seems to struggle to idle and it clatters pretty badly. I know....I know.... it's a diesel and that's how diesels perform in cold weather. It just sounds like it's a real strain on the engine.
With the block heaters warmth the engine acts more like it's being started in the summer. Engine turns over much less before it starts, it idles like it is suppose too and it is a lot less noisy. Maybe the block heater is not necessary, but I feel better about it just because the engine acts better with the block heaters use.

I plug my block heater in about 15-30 minutes before I start my B7800 , depending on the outside temp.
I knew of one guy who left the block heater plugged in 24/7, when his tractor was not in use and his tractor was not started on a daily bases either.

/ Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one #17  
The largest block heaters are 1500watt, 120 volt units that draw 12.5amps, or 1.5Kw/hr of electricity. 1.5Kw/hr x you Kw/hr rate x hours of peration will give you your operating cost. So:

1.5Kw/hr x $0.14251 (my local power rate) = $0.213765/hr x 24 hours = $5.13036/day x 30 days = $153.9108/month to operate the largest engine block heater 24/7 for a month.

A 400 watt heater 0.4Kw/hr x $0.14251 = $0.057004/hr x 24 = $1.368096/day x 30 days = $41.04288/month

So, in my area, with my power rates, an engine block heater will cost between $0.057/hr to $0.213765/hr to operate depending on the size of the block heater.

Diesel fuel here costs $1.01/lite or $3.8178/gal. At a consumption rate (best guess at idle) of 1/2gal/hr and warming for 10 minutes before moving, one would use $0.3187863 in fuel x 30 days = $9.563589/month

The above of course doesn't take into account the cost of decreased battery life, decreased starter life, and costs associated with increased engine wear. And of course, most only leave a block heater on for a maximum of 10-12 hours/day. If you have a timer to use with your engine block heater, that by far is the best way to go.

I would also think that running an engine block heater for 3 hours would get things warmer than 10 minutes if idle.

So a large electric heater at ~0.20/hr would cost 60 cents. You would only save about 1/2 that for a 10 minute warmup. So saving 30 cents in 10 minutes for a colder engine, harder on wear, etc. Heck I would think my time is worth more than 30 cents for 10 min. Thats $1.80/hr

/ Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one #18  
On remote or construction sites here during cold weather, the first guy onsite will fire up a generator and plug in the BH on a big diesel, then get on with other maintenance and setup tasks. Most any generator today will power a BH, and few crews will be onsite w/o generators handy.

Off-grid, the other good option for heavy equipment is a diesel fired coolant heater. Could be left running unattended, and these days should be available with thermostat controls.

Unless it's -40, I've found a couple of hours of BH use to be plenty of pre-heat for a maintained FI vehicle.

An aspect to consider as well is typical vehicle operation. If you are moving heavy snow with a tractor for 30 minutes or more, chances are the engine and fluids get up to operating temperature.

Short run use is a different story. Open the 710 cap on a gas engined car that barely gets driven anywhere in the Winter here and you'll see an oil emulsion milkshake goo under the cap. These short-run FI gas engines will start fine, but could really benefit from some occasional BH use.

Rgds, D.

/ Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one #19  

These are the same reasons and the same way I use the heater except I tend to heat for a couple of hours if I remember to turn the heater (controlled from a switch in the kitchen).

I then fire up the tractor and do some hand-clearing of the deck and sidewalks while it warms up.

When finished I plug the tractor in for the next time. The mistake I sometimes make though, is I forget to turn the switch off! So I waste power for however long it takes me to notice.

/ Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one #20  
These are the same reasons and the same way I use the heater except I tend to heat for a couple of hours if I remember to turn the heater (controlled from a switch in the kitchen).

I then fire up the tractor and do some hand-clearing of the deck and sidewalks while it warms up.

When finished I plug the tractor in for the next time. The mistake I sometimes make though, is I forget to turn the switch off! So I waste power for however long it takes me to notice.

I know I said I leave the block heater of my Kubota B7800 plugged in 15-30 mins, it may get to 45 mins. sometimes depends on how long the coffee break lasts while watching the weather station on TV, but no more than 45 mins.
My tractor is stored in my unheated attached garage.
Once I start my tractor, I engage the pto that runs my rear mount snow blower, lift the seat up so that the kill switch doesn't kill the engine as I get off the seat.
Then do the same as you, hand-clearing off the steps and walk way. The tractor's engine runs for about 5 min. with the pto engaged before I actually start using the tractor for snow blowing. My snow blowing events usually last 1.5 - 2 hours.