Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one

/ Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one #1  

namesray

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota rtv900: kubota mx5200
Just wondering what the benefits are to taking the time and energy to use a block heater on a tractor even if it would start without using block heater. In temperature range of 32 f down to below 0 f. Is it worth it?

/ Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one #2  
If you know there's "a storm on the way", plug er in, she'll thank you for it, IMO.

/ Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one #3  
Less strain on engine trying to push cold fluids, also less warm up time before moving.

/ Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one #4  
Saves time and wear on the equipment.

It isnt the best thing to fire up an engine in 0 degree weather and put it to work immediately. Gotta give the fluids a chance to warm up a bit and circulate. A block heater allows you to bypass that 10-minute or so warm up. And if you dont do the warm up, the heater would save a little bit of the wear associated with that.

/ Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one #5  
I have one on my B7800 and if it's 30 f or below outside, I use it.
For most of my engine starts, the outside temps are usually in the 20s. I've started it before in the 20s, without the use of the block heater and it starts harder(turns over more before starting) once started it seems to struggle to idle and it clatters pretty badly. I know....I know.... it's a diesel and that's how diesels perform in cold weather. It just sounds like it's a real strain on the engine.
With the block heaters warmth the engine acts more like it's being started in the summer. Engine turns over much less before it starts, it idles like it is suppose too and it is a lot less noisy. Maybe the block heater is not necessary, but I feel better about it just because the engine acts better with the block heaters use.

I plug my block heater in about 15-30 minutes before I start my B7800 , depending on the outside temp.
I knew of one guy who left the block heater plugged in 24/7, when his tractor was not in use and his tractor was not started on a daily bases either.
That all changed, when the guys wife saw the electric bill.

/ Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one #6  
I leave my tractor plugged in 24 hours a day, every day unless I'm moving snow. I've got a Ford 2003 7.3 diesel and if I don't plug it in and it happens to start, it wakes the neighbors up. Smokes, rattles and shakes. Diesels like warm starts for a reason.

/ Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one #7  
Not only does a block heater make for easier starting, it significantly reduces warm-up times. Especially the time it takes to get heat to the cab! :laughing: This also helps to warm the hydrailc and othere fluids. I generally leave mine plugged in over night before and expeected use when she's stored outside. I used to keep my skid steer plugged in 24/7 because I could need to use it at any time without notice.

/ Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one #8  
I use my tractor pretty much every day. I will use the block heater if it gets below zero F just to get the oil warmed up. But it starts great at very cold temps w/o the heater.
If the tractor has set for 3 or 4 days I will use it if it is 10 or 15 degrees if I have time or think ahead. What I mean by having time is this: I have noticed that if I use the block heater for less than an hour it is actually significantly harder to start than it is w/o the heater. It turns over great but it turns for a long time before it starts. This is because the heater causes the automatic glow plug cycle to be very short even though the cylinders are not warmed up enough yet. If I use the heater for an hour or two it starts quick even though the glow plugs only come on for a second.

/ Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one #9  
I use mine on the 5700 whenever it gets below freezing, 2650 is in a heated garage . I plug it in for the 5700 for an hour or so and it sure makes a difference . My neighbor leaves his farm tractor pluged in all winter as he uses his tractor everyday .

/ Benefits of block heater even if engine start without one #10  
Only plug lower radiator hose heater in a couple hours before using tractor for moving snow...but leave a pad heater that is attached/ glued to transmission case plugged in all the time in winter. Seems to help with hydraulic fluid warm up... esp. with operating loader /3ph. Use synthetic oil (5w-40) in engine for winter...but Traveler universal Hyd. is much thicker, so think best to warm for better flow when S-O-O-O cold.