Loader Looking for advice on John Deere German 820 tractor loader

/ Looking for advice on John Deere German 820 tractor loader #1  

firecap

Tractor
John Deere 820
I have a 1972 John Deere 820, it is the same as a 1020 just made in germany. I am looking for used loaders but having trouble finding a model number or identification that fits this tractor. Is anyone familiar with these utility tractors and loaders that fit them.

/ Looking for advice on John Deere German 820 tractor loader #2  
The 820 was built from 1968-1973. The nice folks at 1-800-522-7448 have operators and service manuals on CD and hard copy. Mother Deere has the parts book online .

/ Looking for advice on John Deere German 820 tractor loader #3  
I am thinking the JD 175 loader will fit

/ Looking for advice on John Deere German 820 tractor loader #4  
Model 37,47,48,143,145,520 loaders will fit. Keep in mind that the 820 tractor has open-center hyd's which if using a ind hyd valve will have to be OPEN-CENTER.

/ Looking for advice on John Deere German 820 tractor loader #5  
Used loaders are simple enough to find but the mounting brackets are notorious for being missing. As they tend to be left on the tractor that was sold long ago.
The IT manuals tend to contain just enough info get most people into trouble.
Does the tractor have functional power steering?

/ Looking for advice on John Deere German 820 tractor loader
Thanks TX Jim that is the information I was looking for. Yes i am aware of the open center hydraulics, and will ensure the hydraulics.

Buickanddeere there is not any power steering on this tractor. I have already thought about those issues too. Many a times plowing land rocks have almost snapped my wrist when I hit them. This was always my dads favorite tractor just trying to keep her alive and possibly restore her with some new paint. I was always an International fan, loved our IH 574 row crop tractor. We sold it many years ago when we quit tobacco farming. We still have our old 130 farmall though.

I have run into a new problem yesterday though with the Deere. It locked up in gear. The hi low shifter locked in low range and stick wont move. Never had this problem before, was hauling out some logs and had this issue. have to work on it today and figure out why. Too many logs left in the woods to leave in the shed.

Thank you folks.

/ Looking for advice on John Deere German 820 tractor loader #7  
firecap
Does gearshift lever move but trans remain in gear? If so the welded tab on end of shift rail may have broken off as I've seen this happen in the past. One needs to remove gearshift cover to be able to determine problem and possibly weld tab back on. Power steering valve could be added from a salvage tractor.

/ Looking for advice on John Deere German 820 tractor loader
Tx Jim shifter does not move other than a slight side to side movement. I tried rocking it and pulling upward on stick and got nowhere. next step is to pull top cover off transmission. Talked to my mechanic brother today and he says it happened about 10 years ago, and he pulled cover and was able to unstick it. I am going to check the tab on the shifter rails to see if that is it. we have had some trouble in past with going into park. I found a couple of threads this morning with the same problem and noticed you had given advice on those also. Thank you for your wisdom. I am searching for a service manual now to get a parts view of transmission. Yes I may look for A POWER STEERING SETUP FOR THIS TRACTOR. I still look at new tractors in same HP range but hard to beat this ole girl she has been a good one.

/ Looking for advice on John Deere German 820 tractor loader #9  
Back when I sold 820's when they were new we hardly ever had any warranty issues with them. Just sell them & forget them.

Attachments

• L55538_________UN01JAN94.gif
    L55538_________UN01JAN94.gif
    30.4 KB · Views: 555
   / Looking for advice on John Deere German 820 tractor loader #10  
Back when I sold 820's when they were new we hardly ever had any warranty issues with them. Just sell them & forget them.

IIRC the tab that breaks is on shaft #11 of the drawing TxJim posted.

For a service manual, if you can't locate one for an 820, try 830. If you only need trans info, 1020, 1520, 2020, 1530, 2030, 2630. I am sure there are more in the 40 series too, 2040, 2240, 2440. TxJim can probably add a few more.

Mine was broke in my 2030. I had to split the tractor to replace it. I never considered welding the broken part back on, but did not know where it was (found it in the bottom of the trans). Since the tractor was split and I had the new shaft, it went in.