New Holland Boomer 20 miss

/ New Holland Boomer 20 miss #1  

melmark

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 20
Hello, When I purchased my boomer20 in August of this year it was my first tractor and first exposure to a diesel. I have been very happy with the tractor and as of October I have logged 50 hours. After the 50 hour maint. (which was done by the dealership) I have noticed that the tractor has a miss when I first start it. The problem showed up shortly after the maint. I never had a miss before the filter change but it was warmer weather then as well. A few weeks ago I called the dealership and described the problem to them. They said that is normal and nothing to worry about. I just wanted to check here and see what you folks thought.

* service done at 50 hours was to change all filters
* never had a miss before service
* Tractor starts well and runs rough for about 4 or 5 seconds then clears up and runs perfect.
* I always use glow plugs to warm engine b4 starting, the weather here has been in the 20's and 30's
* I have added power service additive to the fuel and have seen no improvement.

I would appreciate any thoughts from experienced users.

Thank-you
Mark

Attachments

• New Toy.jpg
    New Toy.jpg
    705.8 KB · Views: 1,919
   / New Holland Boomer 20 miss #2  
Does it blow white smoke when its running rough on start and then clear up and run smooth?

/ New Holland Boomer 20 miss
Does it blow white smoke when its running rough on start and then clear up and run smooth?

No, I have never observed white smoke. Just a puff of dark smoke at the moment of ignition. It has done that since day one...no change in that area.

Mark

/ New Holland Boomer 20 miss #4  
Maybe just the cold? Since you bought it in August you're using it in cold weather for the first time now. My Ford 1520 does run a little rough when starting below freezing for maybe a minute until it gets warmed up. I installed a block heater this summer and am waiting for some cold weather to see if that helps.

Another possibility is a bad glow plug causing one cylinder to not be warmed before starting.

My Dodge diesel pick up runs rough when cold for a minute until it starts to warm too. I think its just the nature of diesel engines.

/ New Holland Boomer 20 miss
Maybe just the cold? Since you bought it in August you're using it in cold weather for the first time now. My Ford 1520 does run a little rough when starting below freezing for maybe a minute until it gets warmed up. I installed a block heater this summer and am waiting for some cold weather to see if that helps.

Another possibility is a bad glow plug causing one cylinder to not be warmed before starting.

My Dodge diesel pick up runs rough when cold for a minute until it starts to warm too. I think its just the nature of diesel engines.

Ok, thats what the dealer said. My dealer has been very good to deal with and they have a great reputation in my area so I am not doubting them, just want to make sure something is not amiss. It only does it for 4 or 5 seconds then cleans right up and runs great

Thank-you for the reply
Mark

/ New Holland Boomer 20 miss #6  
Traditionally when someone says their engine is missing they are referring to the ignition portion of the engine. This might include fouled spark plugs, bad coils, corroded points or improper timing. Most Diesel engines do not have the traditional parts in gasoline engines such as spark plugs, coils or points so the word "missing" is generally not used. I am just letting you know this so when you describe the event to someone they might think you have a gasoline engine tractor and miss helping diagnose the real problem.

/ New Holland Boomer 20 miss #7  
Try cycling the glow plugs twice....that often helps the engine start smoother in cold temps.

/ New Holland Boomer 20 miss #8  
Traditionally when someone says their engine is missing they are referring to the ignition portion of the engine. This might include fouled spark plugs, bad coils, corroded points or improper timing. Most Diesel engines do not have the traditional parts in gasoline engines such as spark plugs, coils or points so the word "missing" is generally not used. I am just letting you know this so when you describe the event to someone they might think you have a gasoline engine tractor and miss helping diagnose the real problem.

Well that may be how you interpret the term, but I believe "miss" is short for misfire. A word used to describe a condition in an internal combustion engine where a piston comes up on it's firing stroke but no combustion occurs, whatever the reason. In my opinion, this can apply to any engine, whether it runs on gas, diesel, kerosene or what have you.

/ New Holland Boomer 20 miss #10  
By the way white smoke on start and rough idle usually means there's air in the fuel injection system. Often this happens after a fuel filter change and the system is not bled completely. That was my first thought, either not bled properly or an air leak from the filter not installed properly.