Cold start failure

/ Cold start failure #1  

mtaves

Tractor
McCormick CT28
Having trouble starting the tractor in this cold (-30C / -22F) weather and hoping someone could shed some light on how to get things fired up without causing damage. I have a McCormick CT28 with only 400 hrs, equipped with glow plugs and block heater. Got the tractor started (just barely) yesterday when temperatures were only -26C, but today was a no-go, even with the tractor plugged in all night. Ether is one method I am aware of for giving a boost to cold start, but have heard it can also damage internal heating components like glow plugs or block heater elements. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Martin

/ Cold start failure #2  
If you haven't already, I would switch to a lighter synthetic oil...something like a 0w40 or whatever the manual recommends for very low temperatures.

Aside from that, I'd make sure the battery is 100% charged (if you can put an inexpensive trickle charger on it over night, it will help), then cycle the glow plugs two or three times before you try starting. I'd also make sure the fuel is recent (they change the blend for cold weather) and not some you bought months ago.

You could also consider coming up with a blanket or tarp to wrap around the engine, and cover the bottom of the block/transmission....it will help hold the heat in from the block heater (check that the block feels warm and the heater is working while you're at it).

Is the machine kept outside, or inside? If it's outside, you may try coming up with a way to block the wind from blowing on it, which will also rob heat from the block heater's efforts.

/ Cold start failure #3  
All the things Gman mentioned plus check your glow plugs and / or glow plug timer. It's possible the timer or one or more glow plugs may have failed. You'll need to disconnect them and check each one with an ohm meter. With the main wire to the plugs disconnected you can check to see if you have power when the key is turned on. I've had glow plugs fail twice on my Mahindra and the last time replaced the timer as well.

/ Cold start failure #4  
Avoid ether or starting fluid. It can damage an engine if used in excess quantities.

Make sure that your block heater and your glow plugs are functioning properly. Normally you only need 3 hrs of block heater operation so I'm suspicious of your block heater. Check the breaker in the power source to make sure that you have power to the heater. If it's OK, check the heater terminals for continuity. Never have the engine running with the block heater ON as it can damage the heater.

ALWAYS START WITH THE CLUTCH DEPRESSED to reduce the load on the starter and the battery drain.

Do you have the correct lube oil for these temperatures per your owners manual requirements.

Are you using a winter grade diesel. Summer diesel can gel at 28F and no fuel, no start. Generally if the pump is fueling the injectors than there will be some white smoke and the smell of diesel fuel. Water in the fuel can freeze in the fuel delivery system and block it.

/ Cold start failure
Thanks to you both! In response to your comments:
-the tractor is inside so out of the wind
-the fuel was purchased early December, so likely is a winter blend
-lighter oil would definitely help in these cold temperatures
-battery was well charged when trying to start this morning. I stopped when the engine started cranking over slower, with still no sign of any ignition taking place. Battery is probably depleted enough now that a trickle charger would be a good idea.
-I will definitely feel the block to see if it is warm at all, though at -30 not sure if it will be "warm" enough for me to notice... How would I be able to check if the heater is working?
-Glow plug sounds like a good thing to check as well.

/ Cold start failure
Jerry/MT - I do get the white smoke so that confirms the fuel pump is doing its thing properly.

Thanks for the advice on ether - I will definitely avoid.

i think you might be onto something on the block heater. Will check that out.

/ Cold start failure #7  
Put a finger on the base of the block heater. At -30, you should still feel it to be hot, if not it is bad. Also, at -30, you will want it plugged in more that 2-3 hours to over come the cold. I would leave it plugged in all night.

/ Cold start failure
Well, I can rule out problems at the block heater. Put my hand on the block where the heater goes in and almost burned a finger off. Heater is working fine. Regarding the glow plugs: the dash light indicator comes on as normal, here the normal clicking sounds that indicate glow plugs are doing their thing, then light and clicking go off after about 5 seconds, all as normal. Repeating the glow plug cycle before trying to start results in progressively shorter cycle, which suggests to me that whatever senses and controls timing is still working.

Will have to sleep on this tonight. Fortunately I got enough snow cleared to go about normal activities and we don't usually get additional snow while it is this cold.

/ Cold start failure #9  
Diesel engines require very high compression to start in cold weather. If the engine has a lot of hours on it, the valves may not be sealing well, lowering the compression ratio. If you have white smoke and hot block heater without a failure of the glow plugs, I would take a look at the compression. Some tractors have a compression release and if that is partly open, same problem..Won't start. Check that too. DO NOT USE ETHER IN A SMALL TRACTOR ENGINE>>>EVER!!..It can bend the conrods.

/ Cold start failure #10  
I have found that , at those temps, additional fuel treatment is needed to prevent waxing or gelling. Normal fuel at the pump usually only cover you down to about 10 deg.. Get a quality fuel treatment and don't over treat either .too much can damage pumps and injectors .As far as ether is concerned,I would only use it if the air intake heater or glow plugs were disabled. I have seen guys blow the intake manifold right off of the engine with it.