Very tight power steering when extreme cold

/ Very tight power steering when extreme cold #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
It's currently 10 degrees here in mid-Michigan and the temp has been bitterly cold for the past few days. I just came in from back-blading snow with my Deere 4210, and it seems the power steering was very tight or sticky. Cannot recall if the same situation existed last winter...maybe my memory is getting bad, or my arms weaker? :laughing:

As I always in do in extreme cold weather, I let the tractor run a few minutes after starting and then drive it at idle speed for another few minutes until the temp gage begins to move into the operating range before increasing the rpm to use the loader and rear blade. Can anyone tell me if the tight steering is a common problem in extreme cold? Thank you for the input.

/ Very tight power steering when extreme cold #2  
It's currently 10 degrees here in mid-Michigan and the temp has been bitterly cold for the past few days. I just came in from back-blading snow with my Deere 4210, and it seems the power steering was very tight or sticky. Cannot recall if the same situation existed last winter...maybe my memory is getting bad, or my arms weaker? :laughing:

As I always in do in extreme cold weather, I let the tractor run a few minutes after starting and then drive it at idle speed for another few minutes until the temp gage begins to move into the operating range before increasing the rpm to use the loader and rear blade. Can anyone tell me if the tight steering is a common problem in extreme cold? Thank you for the input.

I can't speak about your JD, but on my Kioti, when it is really cold the steering is a little "tight" also until the fluid warms up. It is not a big deal, but you can notice it. Hey winter sucks.

/ Very tight power steering when extreme cold #3  
While waiting for the temp gauge to come up I usually exercise the FEL cyls, slowly (stiffly) at first. If running the oil thru' cold cylinders doesn't seem to warm the hydro noticeably below 20^ F movement does smooth out by the time the engine is warm enough to operate. I assume this means the juice is into the 20s or so where the stiffness wouldn't be noticed, and steering is smoother/easier.

BTW, 15^F is my cut-off point for operating if I can hold back 'til warmer weather. Expected to be in the 20s tomorrow (Sunday) here in mid-MI but having let it pile & drift here means moochy neighbors haven't begged me for another favor (well, not much). They see that I haven't plowed my own drive (500'+) & I guess I don't have to make excuses why I'm not out there. (tractor 'down' for now :D) I'm not buying "my snowblower's broke" for a third straight Winter, esp from 'dinks' (double income, no kids), when I'm on a meager pension. As for the few that I'd rather help, I'd have to beat them to it...

/ Very tight power steering when extreme cold #4  
your okay as long as it is not like my kubota. It would get stiff steering because out side storeage let water down the steering column. Armstronging it caused the ball bearings to come out of their tracks and the result was a rebuild. After rebuilding the column I used silicone to seal the cap on the center of the steering wheel. The drain hole on the bottom of the column is kept clean with a small drill bit. No more frozen steering.

/ Very tight power steering when extreme cold #5  
I don't know if they list any suitable alternative kinds of power steering fluid, but a synthetic would probably help when it's cold like this.

/ Very tight power steering when extreme cold
I don't know if they list any suitable alternative kinds of power steering fluid, but a synthetic would probably help when it's cold like this.

I never thought about using a synthetic fluid, a very well thought out response on your part!! My Deere uses a hydro system that incorporates the transmission, power steering, and all lift systems into one that incorporates nearly 7 gallons of fluid. I will investigate the possibility of switching to a synthetic 250 hours down the road when the next hydro fluid and dual filter change is due. THANK YOU !!!!

/ Very tight power steering when extreme cold #7  
My 4310 does the same thing. I know it has done it for at least the last 2 years. I think it helps to turn it lock to lock to get the cold fluid back to the tractor to warm up. Seems to help.