IH 444

/ IH 444 #1  

PROFarms

Silver Member
Tractor
International 444, Yanmar YM169d, Cub Cadet
Hi,

Some of you amy have seen on other threads i have posted but i have just purchased an IH 444 and i have been looking it over trying everything out and i have a few questions.

Firstly, the PTO lever, it seems you don't have to clutch it to engage the PTO, i have never seen this before so just wondered if any of you knew what this was called and I'm just interested to know how this system works, never seen it before on a tractor of this age. You just slide it back and it engages the PTO and then slide it back forward to disengage.

Secondly, the tractor has got draft control. There are probably many threads on here explaining what it is and how to use it but i don't really understand how to use it and what it is after reading up on some of these, so could someone explain the draft control and what it is used for?

Thanks in advance

/ IH 444
This is the tractor

Attachments

• image-1722622462.jpg
    image-1722622462.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 244
  • image-3967658666.jpg
    image-3967658666.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 198
   / IH 444 #3  
Draft control, from how mine worked, at least, senses the pressure put on a rock shaft by a ground engaging implement and adjusts the 3pt hitch up and down automatically.

For example, you have a dirt plow down in the ground a foot and are happily plowing along and then run into hard packed clay... The implement pulls on the top link mount on the tractor. Under that top link mount, there is a rock shaft. When that rock shaft rocks, it opens a valve that raises the 3pt hitch a bit out of the tough soil. The top link stops pulling so hard, that causes the rock shaft to rock in the opposite direction, closing the valve, and lowering the implement back down into the soil to the pre-set depth you have before..... I think! :laughing:

Anyhow, the draft control adjustment sets the sensitivity of that raising and lowering action. Too sensitive and the implement will pop up out of the ground at the slightest hint of soil resistance.

Hope that's accurate and hope that helps. ;)

/ IH 444 #4  
I Think moss road did a good job explaining draft control. I used to have an International 464 which is very much like your 444. The PTO lever can be engaged without using the clutch. There is a notch in the slot that the lever travels in, moving the lever just to the notch allows the PTO to slowly engage, almost like easing a clutch pedal out. Once the PTO shaft is up to speed, the lever can be engaged fully. I thought it was a pretty good setup.

/ IH 444 #5  
Well, I guess the top link pushes when the plow drags, not pulls, but anyway, that's how it works... :laughing:

/ IH 444
Thanks. Think I get it now. Just found it weird the first time it happened as had never seen it before.

/ IH 444 #7  
In working with the hitch drop the height lever to the bottom, then adjust the depth with the draft control. That way you can use the height lever to raise and lower at the ends and not need to continue to adjust other then the draft for fine tuning.
With good working draft controls you can a lot of work easy!

Last edited:
   / IH 444 #8  
----- The PTO lever can be engaged without using the clutch. There is a notch in the slot that the lever travels in, moving the lever just to the notch allows the PTO to slowly engage, almost like easing a clutch pedal out. Once the PTO shaft is up to speed, the lever can be engaged fully. I thought it was a pretty good setup.

Thanks. Think I get it now. Just found it weird the first time it happened as had never seen it before.

That is called an Independent PTO.