Ingersoll Randョ 7.5 HP 80 Gallon Two Stage Air Compressor

/ Ingersoll Randョ 7.5 HP 80 Gallon Two Stage Air Compressor #1  

koamfps

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TN70DA & NH 2120
So, I have this beast in my barn so I don't have to listen to it start up and run while i'm in my work shop. Got a problem. I live in Michigan and in the winter I can't get the compressor to kick over without popping a breaker. The compressor oil thickens to the point I can't get it to crank. I have used crankcase heaters (the kind you stick on the side of the crankcase and and plug in) it worked okay last year but when I plugged it in this fall I **** near burnt the barn down!!! The heater shorted out. can't chance that happening while i'm not around Bars 100 years old!
Anyone had any experience with this problem? What did you do to keep the oil warm enough to be able to utilize the compressor in cold weather?
Moving it into the work shop is not an option.

Thanks

/ Ingersoll Randョ 7.5 HP 80 Gallon Two Stage Air Compressor #2  
Perhaps an enclosure like thermal blankets with a "safe" space heater with thermostat?

BTW I have the same compressor but lost the motor during a brownout this past summer.

/ Ingersoll Randョ 7.5 HP 80 Gallon Two Stage Air Compressor #3  
Possibility a strip heater could be bolted under the compressor mounting frame and control it with time or temperature? They are rugged and reliable.
McMaster Carr has a wide variety to choose from. McMaster-Carr
Other than that maybe a heat lamp.

/ Ingersoll Randョ 7.5 HP 80 Gallon Two Stage Air Compressor #4  
Is synthetic oil an option?

/ Ingersoll Randョ 7.5 HP 80 Gallon Two Stage Air Compressor #5  
Even synthetic oil does not mitigate the effect of the cold on the motor.

I solved that problem, by building an insulated closet for the compressor.

It's under the stairs. The closet is insulated well. It has an insulated exterior door, and is heated by a 60 watt light bulb, which keeps it at 55F. A second bulb, on a screw in photo cell, will kick on, if the first one burns out.

You also have to plan for the warm weather, so you need to be able to move a lot of air through there, like with big fan, or a furnace blower. Or have the compressor on wheels, so you can pull it out.

/ Ingersoll Randョ 7.5 HP 80 Gallon Two Stage Air Compressor #6  
Even synthetic oil does not mitigate the effect of the cold on the motor.

I solved that problem, by building an insulated closet for the compressor.

It's under the stairs. The closet is insulated well. It has an insulated exterior door, and is heated by a 60 watt light bulb, which keeps it at 55F. A second bulb, on a screw in photo cell, will kick on, if the first one burns out.

You also have to plan for the warm weather, so you need to be able to move a lot of air through there, like with big fan, or a furnace blower. Or have the compressor on wheels, so you can pull it out.

If the problem is thick oil, synthetic won't get anywhere near as thick as conventional does....very likely enough that the breaker won't continue to trip.

/ Ingersoll Randョ 7.5 HP 80 Gallon Two Stage Air Compressor #7  
That compressor is not made to run below 50 or so degrees.Needs to be in a heated area.

/ Ingersoll Randョ 7.5 HP 80 Gallon Two Stage Air Compressor #8  
From the IR user manual:

AMBIENT TEMPERATURE CONSIDERATIONS. Ideal operating temperatures are between 32°F and 100°F (0°C and 37.8°C). If temperatures consistently drop below 32°F (0°C), install the compressor in a heated area. If this is not possible, you must protect safety/relief valves and drain valves from freezing. If temperatures are consistently below 40°F (4.4°C), consider installing an external crankcase heater kit, especially if the compressor has difficulty starting.

/ Ingersoll Randョ 7.5 HP 80 Gallon Two Stage Air Compressor #9  
From the IR user manual:

AMBIENT TEMPERATURE CONSIDERATIONS. Ideal operating temperatures are between 32°F and 100°F (0°C and 37.8°C). If temperatures consistently drop below 32°F (0°C), install the compressor in a heated area. If this is not possible, you must protect safety/relief valves and drain valves from freezing. If temperatures are consistently below 40°F (4.4°C), consider installing an external crankcase heater kit, especially if the compressor has difficulty starting.

What oil do you run now? cause if your following the book then to me whats the problem?

Last edited:
   / Ingersoll Randョ 7.5 HP 80 Gallon Two Stage Air Compressor #10  
try multivis, 5-30 or 0-20. Most are straight 30w, if memory serves. I would not use a heater for fear of fire and the expense!