Hay moisture testers

/ Hay moisture testers #1  

Sawdustsmb

Silver Member
Tractor
TL80a, Ford 4000, Super H, F 12, F14
9am and it 6 degrees out - seems like a strange time to be posting this!!! I've made small squares for 50 years and am about to start a new adventure. Round baleage wrapped. How many of you use moisture sensors, are they worth their expense, and what types are best. Sorry if there is a thread on this already, I did a search but didn't seem to come up with anything. Thank you, Bob

/ Hay moisture testers #2  
I run the new style Delmhorst cintinuous update (with shoes in the bailers) and the Delmhorst can come out of the tractor and be used as a handheld unit, the others can't (like agtronics).

/ Hay moisture testers
I assume you are using that in a square baler - can it also be set up in a round baler?

/ Hay moisture testers #4  
Moisture testers can be mounted on round balers. If you are doing baleage, choose your tester carefully to be sure it will test in the range you will be baling. Know that the same sensors in a round baler probably will not be as accurate as in a square baler due to a square baler typically testing cut stems. Round balers present only the stem sides to the sensor pads.

/ Hay moisture testers
Thanks, Rick

/ Hay moisture testers #6  
I have John deeres baler mounted moisture tester in my round baler, the install was easy but the calibrating takes a little getting used to, I used a hand held moisture tester and set the moisture level that it read in the baler mounted and every time I got different readings. I had to find a happy medium and average from there.