Keeping up with tools

/ Keeping up with tools #1  

Walkin Horse

Platinum Member
Tractor
Shibuara Ford New Holland 555D NH Workmaster 55
I do pretty good at keeping wrenches and such. The one thing I can't keep up with is a valve stem remover. I don't use one often so I can never remember my new hiding spot. Last I found it after checking a bunch of spots. When I got done with it i put it in my bib pocket meaning to put it away. Today I realized it's gone. Must have dumped it out taking my bibs off. I'm thinking about getting a dozen and putting them everywhere they should be. In the toolbox in the garage,in the mule toolbox, on my dresser, in the kitchen junk drawer and the glove boxes.. I even borrowed one from a friend and lost it. Has any body seen one that goes on a key ring? Like I said most other stuff I can keep up with tools.

/ Keeping up with tools #2  
I have make my own when needed. I live about 20 miles from the closest town so going to town for every little thing isn't an option. I keep metal tire valve caps in stock because I like at least one on every off road vehicle so that I can remove a valve if needed. I also keep rubber tire valve stems in stock because every once in a while I need one to repair a tire. So you screw a metal cap onto a used valve stem and flatten it a bit with the hammer so that it doesn't turn off and then you have a tire valve core remover.

It wouldn't be hard to drill a hole through one and add it onto a key chain.

/ Keeping up with tools #3  
Do you mean a tool to remove the stem from the wheel, or a tool to remove the valve core from a stem?
I have lots of these in various vehicles, tool boxes, etc.

Even have one on a tire, sometimes. :)

mai_val_ste_rem.jpg

Bruce

/ Keeping up with tools #4  
I keep the metal caps on all my truck and my UTV tires, then if I can't find one of my stem remover tools, one vehicle or the other is always close by. (I'm the same way about losing things, so when I take one off a tire to remove a stem, I don't let go of it until I screw it back on the tire I took it from)

I did paint my stem remover tools a bright orange so they show up better in the tool box drawer

/ Keeping up with tools #5  
I keep 2 or 3 in the top drawer of a tool box where I have all my air tool stuff - line fittings, valve stem & core replacements, valve caps, arbor wrenches, oil for the air tools, etc.

But I feel your pain - last Summer I was doing a lot of OA cutting & hot forming and kept misplacing my striker-spark thingy. Finally I got a spare at the hardware store & hung it from one of the fluorescent fixture pull cords in the shop, right next to where I keep the torch. After doing that, I completely stopped misplacing the original.:)

/ Keeping up with tools #6  
Wish I knew how many times I've looked for a particular tool, given up and bought a new one, then after the job was done, I found the original tool (and then remembered leaving it there)! The good point, if any, is that I now have duplicates of many tools

/ Keeping up with tools #7  
They way I do my tools now is clean up when done and put each tool back into its place.

/ Keeping up with tools
I keep 2 or 3 in the top drawer of a tool box where I have all my air tool stuff - line fittings, valve stem & core replacements, valve caps, arbor wrenches, oil for the air tools, etc.

But I feel your pain - last Summer I was doing a lot of OA cutting & hot forming and kept misplacing my striker-spark thingy. Finally I got a spare at the hardware store & hung it from one of the fluorescent fixture pull cords in the shop, right next to where I keep the torch. After doing that, I completely stopped misplacing the original.:)
I got the striker thing covered. One time I was putting in some pipe at at a dry leaning supplier. I talked a guy out of several big diaper pins that they use on laundry bags. Then I put it on a belt loop.

I will try making a core removed like that. It would be nice in an emergency. I see other people have the same idea about buying a dozen and keeping them everywhere. I like the orange paint idea. Also I can drill a hole in one. I pictured something like a little loop off one side but hole will work. Then I can loose my keys.

/ Keeping up with tools #9  
I have a couple of them attached to a brass stem, off of like an old 10:00-20 truck tire tube. A spot of Loc-Tite on the threads to keep it on there. Pretty handy using one with a "handle". Less likely to drop, and roll under something, and easy to find in the tool box.

/ Keeping up with tools #10  
I never had a valve stem remover. A pair of pliers works nearly as well and I have them scattered all over the place.