Tier 4 idle question

/ Tier 4 idle question #1  

vtwinhd

Tractor
Kubota L3901
So the book says it ain't good to idle these new tier 4 engines because the build up of crap in the DPF. So how is everyone operating. I'm doing mostly loader work in the woods on the small property. In the past with older diesels I've never shut them down with out working for a few hours. So what's best. Say you're logging in the woods and you get off to buck up a tree and you're off the tractor for 5,10,20 minutes. Do I just run her at a higher RPM maybe 1200 or so or shut her down. So if that is so then why even allow the engine to idle down to 800 rpm what's the deal here. I'd like to prolong the life of my machine as much as possible. What about doing light loader work while the RPMs are really low. Is the still considered idleing.

/ Tier 4 idle question #3  
I have a friend that has a potato farm. His trucks were giving him no end of troubles with dpf regeneration etc. To the point where during regeneration there was no point in even trying to drive the truck in the field during regeneration. In Alberta it's not illegal to remove emissions equipment so that's what happened. Thew cost was about $5000/truck. He expects to get his money back in reduced down time and repairs and in increased fuel efficiency's.

back to your query I very rarely idle my diesels for extended periods. For one thing they don't warm up doing it and the other is that it puts way too much unburnt diesel in the crankcase. My trucks I wait until I have my seat belt on and then drive off. My tractors get about a minute of lighter work and then it's work time. I hate the sound of a motor idling for nothing so if I'm doing nothing with my equipment it get's shut off.

/ Tier 4 idle question #4  
X2 what pmsmechanic said about idling diesels. As far as tractors go, for the last 20 years my wife and I have rented tractors so we watched the hour meter ticking. If we weren't on the tractor it was shut off. So once I learned about the negative side effects of idling at least the newer diesels it was easy for me to adopt the habit of shutting them down if not in use.

A friend of mine works for a Wild land fire management team and has told me that they have run into problems where the new trucks have went into Regen as they were in an off road situation causing the truck to start it's own fire. Not sure what the fix is but it does seem to be a little troublesome.

/ Tier 4 idle question #5  
So the book says it ain't good to idle these new tier 4 engines because the build up of crap in the DPF. So how is everyone operating. I'm doing mostly loader work in the woods on the small property. In the past with older diesels I've never shut them down with out working for a few hours. So what's best. Say you're logging in the woods and you get off to buck up a tree and you're off the tractor for 5,10,20 minutes. Do I just run her at a higher RPM maybe 1200 or so or shut her down. So if that is so then why even allow the engine to idle down to 800 rpm what's the deal here. I'd like to prolong the life of my machine as much as possible. What about doing light loader work while the RPMs are really low. Is the still considered idleing.

Like a good little tree-hugger i tried abiding with my tier 4. But the tuner in me got irked when I felt power sap off quickly as the DPF filter plugged up requiring frequent regeneration cycles.

As a result, I've decided to defeat my tier4 in my Kioti at some point in the future by removing the DPF filter and installing a test tube as well as fooling the ECU into continually thinking that it has a brand new DPF filter in it. Alternatively, some people have progressively drilled bigger holes through their existing DPF filters so as to maintain the proper back pressure. They are checking this out according the the pressure sensor reference voltage. In other words, look up in the service manual what the voltage should be with a new filter and drill out the filter by trial and error until you get the right reference voltage. The result is the ECU always thinks it has brand new DPF filter installed and you can roll coal.

When I do it, I'll make a video that will be specific to the NX series but I will offer generic advice on how to do it on your new truck, tractor, Volvo wagon, or whatever.

/ Tier 4 idle question #6  
My Kubota L5460HSTC is Tier 4. I don't idle the engine. I treat it like all my other diesels and don't idle them either. A diesel engine cools when idling, and if left idling too long, the cooled combustion chambers don't completely burn the fuel which "washes" the protective oil film off the cylinder walls and eventually dilutes the oil in the crankcase. I treat all my diesels the same way... crank them up, as soon as the oil pressure is up, I put them in gear and go. If operating under full RPM and power, I idle them down for only a couple of minutes and shut them off.

I have nearly 100 hours on my Kubota L5460 and it has regenerated the DPF twice so far and it's currently showing a 50% soot load in the DPF. Both times it automatically regenerated while running at 2,400-rpm under a load. The only difference I noticed was the indicator light on the dash. I have no desire nor interest in defeating the emission system on this tractor.

Bill

/ Tier 4 idle question #7  
Eric the Oracle, I like the way you think. But I hope that with my new tractor I will be able to truck along just fine like Bill the Retired Iron Peddler.

/ Tier 4 idle question #8  
My Kubota L5460HSTC is Tier 4. I don't idle the engine. I treat it like all my other diesels and don't idle them either. A diesel engine cools when idling, and if left idling too long, the cooled combustion chambers don't completely burn the fuel which "washes" the protective oil film off the cylinder walls and eventually dilutes the oil in the crankcase. I treat all my diesels the same way... crank them up, as soon as the oil pressure is up, I put them in gear and go. If operating under full RPM and power, I idle them down for only a couple of minutes and shut them off.

I have nearly 100 hours on my Kubota L5460 and it has regenerated the DPF twice so far and it's currently showing a 50% soot load in the DPF. Both times it automatically regenerated while running at 2,400-rpm under a load. The only difference I noticed was the indicator light on the dash. I have no desire nor interest in defeating the emission system on this tractor.

Bill

Are you really concerned, even in older diesels, with diluting the oil in the crankcase? What is your experience with that?

/ Tier 4 idle question #9  
Are you really concerned, even in older diesels, with diluting the oil in the crankcase? What is your experience with that?

Yes, I would be concerned. I retired from the diesel truck and tractor sales and service business after 40 years (note my "handle") as a factory rep for a major manufacturer and later in the retail business. What I've seen from idling diesel engines has made me very conscious of not idling a diesel engine. Cylinder wall "wash down" from unburned fuel is more of a concern than diluting the engine oil; however, idling a diesel long enough will eventually dilute the oil. If you leave your tractor idling, speed the engine up to 1,200 to 1,500 rpm which will reduce the cooling effect along with reducing the amount of cylinder swash down and oil dilution. The extra fuel consumed won't be noticeable.

Bill

/ Tier 4 idle question #10  
Yes, I would be concerned. I retired from the diesel truck and tractor sales and service business after 40 years (note my "handle") as a factory rep for a major manufacturer and later in the retail business. What I've seen from idling diesel engines has made me very conscious of not idling a diesel engine. Cylinder wall "wash down" from unburned fuel is more of a concern than diluting the engine oil; however, idling a diesel long enough will eventually dilute the oil. If you leave your tractor idling, speed the engine up to 1,200 to 1,500 rpm which will reduce the cooling effect along with reducing the amount of cylinder swash down and oil dilution. The extra fuel consumed won't be noticeable.

Bill

Yea finally someone is talking the same language I am. Thanks so much for your post. I'm a mechanic and I fight this idling battle all the time. You don't need to idle a diesel excessively. They have the same bearing loads as gas engines.