sway chains.. What have I got wrong?i

/ sway chains.. What have I got wrong?i #1  

Azmotorhead

Tractor
Deere 650
I've got a JD 650. Rear 3 point attachments are a Box scraper and blade.
I just purchased a set of sway chains from Hoye.
Problem is the sway chains seem too long even with turnbuckles turned all the way in.
Tractor used to have a set of original Deere sway chains but one side was missing a long clevis, and the other the turnbuckle was rustwelded together.
Called Hoye and they said theses were the ones applicable.
So what do i have wrong here??
CIMG1642_zps320d5126.jpg

/ sway chains.. What have I got wrong?i #2  
What if you put the clevis in the next link closer to the turnbuckle?

/ sway chains.. What have I got wrong?i #3  
They look really loose. Try moving one link closer, but I think you'll have to remove both links to get it tight enough.

/ sway chains.. What have I got wrong?i #4  
Maybe those two extra chain links on the tractor side are there for a more universal fit on a number of tractor models.

From the photo, it looks like if you removed those two links then the fit would be just right. It appears that a hack saw would be needed if you don't have a torch or plasma cutter.

If you still need an even shorter length then the single link on the implement side might need to be removed. That would require some welding to re-attach the turnbuckle body to the eye bolt.

Without the chain links the device will be a little more stiff but it should work just fine.

Before you do anything too radical make sure that those "D" rings on the turnbuckle body are not going to run into the lift arms when they are tightened. It looks to be close in the photo. You may have the wrong part.

I had a similar problem once with my BX2200. I simply went to the hardware store and bought two heavy-duty turnbuckles. They worked great. Not as simple to adjust but better than nothing.

One of these styles should work. I'd weld the eye closed on the non-solid eye models. Just a standard nut threaded onto the RH thread acts as a lock. Click the link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=turnbuckles&tbm=isch&imgil=3ptxmQUkHjO1FM%253A%253BzcLlONw8eNuNHM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.diytrade.com%25252Fchina%25252Fpd%25252F5354986%25252Fturnbuckles.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=3ptxmQUkHjO1FM%253A%252CzcLlONw8eNuNHM%252C_&usg=__3NPHUJ4pWBYQWQCiTApgmkyEvqs%3D&biw=1304&bih=863&dpr=1.25&ved=0CGQQyjc&ei=OPfIVN3cMcGngwT8oIKQCg#imgdii=_&imgrc=3ptxmQUkHjO1FM%253A%3BzcLlONw8eNuNHM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimg.diytrade.com%252Fcdimg%252F912768%252F8842333%252F0%252F1240878027%252Fturnbuckles.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.diytrade.com%252Fchina%252Fpd%252F5354986%252Fturnbuckles.html%3B1024%3B768

Last edited:
   / sway chains.. What have I got wrong?i #5  
I've got a JD 650. Rear 3 point attachments are a Box scraper and blade.
I just purchased a set of sway chains from Hoye.
Problem is the sway chains seem too long even with turnbuckles turned all the way in.
Tractor used to have a set of original Deere sway chains but one side was missing a long clevis, and the other the turnbuckle was rustwelded together.
Called Hoye and they said theses were the ones applicable.
So what do i have wrong here??
View attachment 408931

I doubt they are designed to lock your three point from swinging. I believe they are just supposed to limit the amount of swing so the arms don't contact the tires. Check with the dealer you bought them from. You will probably need to buy a solid set of sway bars if you want to lock it solid. I wouldn't use the solid ones with the box blade unless you drive straight and lift it when you turn.

/ sway chains.. What have I got wrong?i #6  
If they keep the lower links from hitting the tires and are capable of pulling them in a little beyond that then they are probably OK as is. If not, you could move the clevis up a link as has been mentioned. From the picture it looks like the turnbuckle end toward the tractor could be screwed in a little more also.

/ sway chains.. What have I got wrong?i #7  
My initial thought was to relocate the rear attachment point to the other side of the lift arms, but maybe not. Remove a link or two as mentioned may be the best solution?

/ sway chains.. What have I got wrong?i #8  
Any chance they are supposed to be like this. It also looks to me that the lift arms may be reversed putting the attachment point too close to the tractor frame. Look at the picture. The lift arms are in front of the chain attachment point not behind it.

Attachments

• IMG_1798.JPG
    IMG_1798.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,064
   / sway chains.. What have I got wrong?i #9  
Just remove a link or 2 and you are good to go.
The angle of the brackets on the rear casting indicate a direct line to each lift arm, removing one or both links will do the trick.
The sway kit is undoubtedly a universal replacement kit hence the extra links.

/ sway chains.. What have I got wrong?i #10  
I doubt they are designed to lock your three point from swinging. I believe they are just supposed to limit the amount of swing so the arms don't contact the tires. Check with the dealer you bought them from. You will probably need to buy a solid set of sway bars if you want to lock it solid. I wouldn't use the solid ones with the box blade unless you drive straight and lift it when you turn.

That's the way my Massey works. If they are indeed sway chains.