Diesel UTV horsepower

/ Diesel UTV horsepower #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
I suspect this is a government EPA thing, but specially why are all the diesel UTV limited in horsepower to around the 24-25 hp range?

They could be a LOT better, if they was engineered differently.

/ Diesel UTV horsepower #2  
Why...what do you need to do on 30 odd acres that 25hp can't handle?

More hp would be more expensive, heavier.

I doubt that the EPA is setting limits on hp...you can buy diesel vehicles of various sorts with more hp, including tractors. I suspect market forces are at play rather than the EPA.

/ Diesel UTV horsepower #3  
You are correct. EPA nonroad (mobile off highway) compression ignition engine emission regulations are broken up into power bands. The more stringent regulations affect the bands that produce the most engines.

The small engines are not as stringent as EPA recognized they would extinguish the industry if they did so.

Break point between EPA-defined power bands is 25.0 gross bhp.

/ Diesel UTV horsepower
Why...what do you need to do on 30 odd acres that 25hp can't handle?

More hp would be more expensive, heavier.

I doubt that the EPA is setting limits on hp...you can buy diesel vehicles of various sorts with more hp, including tractors. I suspect market forces are at play rather than the EPA.

Live 1/2 mile off road surrounded by 430+ acres of woods/pasture. There are times i wish the diesel was peppier.

/ Diesel UTV horsepower #6  
The EPA does in fact set engine exhaust emissions limits based on engine power bands. Google EPA - it's there.

/ Diesel UTV horsepower #7  
Live 1/2 mile off road surrounded by 430+ acres of woods/pasture. There are times i wish the diesel was peppier.
640 acres is only 1 mile x 1 mile so at 25 MPH you can get just about anywhere on the property in less than 3 minutes. If you had 75 HP and could go 75 MPH it would be a bit less than 1 minute but lets face it, most landscapes wont accept 75 MPH running so you would really just be paying for HP that is of no value, kinda like the 750 HP cars that can go 250 MPH but where can you do that speed and how fast do you really need to go from 0 to 55 MPH.

Sure there are a few times that I wouldn't mind going 35 instead of 25 but there really isn't any need for more speed and so far, I haven't had any need for more pulling power with my Kubota RTV 900.

/ Diesel UTV horsepower
640 acres is only 1 mile x 1 mile so at 25 MPH you can get just about anywhere on the property in less than 3 minutes. If you had 75 HP and could go 75 MPH it would be a bit less than 1 minute but lets face it, most landscapes wont accept 75 MPH running so you would really just be paying for HP that is of no value, kinda like the 750 HP cars that can go 250 MPH but where can you do that speed and how fast do you really need to go from 0 to 55 MPH.

Sure there are a few times that I wouldn't mind going 35 instead of 25 but there really isn't any need for more speed and so far, I haven't had any need for more pulling power with my Kubota RTV 900.

Everyone has opinions on this. It's why all shapes and sizes exist. I also have a 450hp Duramax that is 13 years old, and I really got some kicks out of stomping BMW into the ground. Sooooo there's just times the old hotrodder in me likes that. Having said that, 99% of the time, I'm going really slow, because I look at things. There was also sometimes that I was getting horses off my property when the owner came over and could not do it...I used a Teryx 750 then. I kind of think as wild as they was acting, the gator might not have done it....but the 58mph Teryx did.

/ Diesel UTV horsepower #9  
I got it.... there are times, very occasionally, when you just wanna go fast.

/ Diesel UTV horsepower #10  
Re: Diesel UTV horsepower, Thoughts on Teir 4

I spent 6 hours plowing with my L39 this last storm, so I figure Desiel fumes do not bother me.

On my long drive to work with temps near -10 F, I got behind a 6-8 year old modified diesel PU and a big yellow diesel fuel school bus, both not burning well. The smoke and fumes nearly aphixiated me.

I couldn't pass, so i stayed back a few hundred feet. They eventually turned off.

I still had a massive headache and watering eyes when I got to work. GAG!

Point is, these two vehicles made the polution of at least 1,000 Teir 3 tractors and such.

Get stuff like that straightened out, and we would not need Teir 4.