I got a Tractor!

/ I got a Tractor! #1  

The Chicken

Tractor
International 3514 :)
I had previously asked for a little help here on pricing a tractor.

And while I did not get that particular tractor, I bought another one that was, I think, more within my budget. I say I think, because it doesn't run, and is pretty beat up. We will see if I can bring it back to life.

I figured I would post this up, because I am sure I am going to have lots of questions and need tons of help, as this is my first tractor.

It is an International 3514. I don't know if I am posting this in the right section, as I did not see a sub forum for International tractors. If it needs to go elsewhere, please advise.

IMG_1920.jpg

Here she is! What a beauty, right?

Anyway, my first problem is that it does not run, the previous owner said there was something wrong with the carb, so I started there. Boy, they weren't kidding. Aside from being full of crud and needing a total rebuild, the throttle shaft is so worn it moves all over in the shaft bore. The shaft is brass, the carb is cast iron. I ordered a rebuild kit from Steiners, but they dont have a bushing kit for that carb. I was thinking of trying to make a new shaft out of stainless, then boring the carb body out and pressing in bronze sleeves and reaming to fit. Anybody have any experience with something like this? any thoughts!

IMG_1926.jpg

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help!

/ I got a Tractor! #2  
I don't have any answers for you, but look forward to seeing your progress..... good luck and thanks for the pictures.

/ I got a Tractor! #3  
I have rebuilt many carbs that were way beyond their useable lifespan. Mostly they were done for collectors that couldn't find the correct replacement but wanted original or some time period upgrade or modification. With something that is to be used I have found it much quicker to Find a carb with useable fuel delivery or something that is easy to tune to a multitude of engines and simply build an adapter plate to make it fit. Most carbs are tune-able if you understand them but most aftermarket carbs from Webber and Delloto are built to be adapted to anything.

/ I got a Tractor! #4  
Wow- imagine a twin throat Weber on that beauty! Anyway, this should be a good, long thread. Lots of photos, too, I hope.

/ I got a Tractor! #5  
Welcome to TBN. Congrats on your new tractor.

This sounds like the start of a very interesting thread where a lot can be learned, Thanks for starting it and keep it up.

/ I got a Tractor! #6  
Congratulations on your first tractor, looks like it will be a fun project and with a little TLC a nice tractor. I have seen many older carbs most a bit sloppy with the linkage but work fine after rebuilding. Sorry I can't be much help but look forward to your progress. I be tackling an older allis B in the spring with carb issues hope I too can learn from your post. Don't forget photos.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ I got a Tractor! #7  
What model number is the Marvel S. carb...it might be better to look for a complete used one....BobG in VA

/ I got a Tractor! #8  
Try a local carb repair shop. I've used them to rebuild fuel injectors for 1/10th the cost of new ones. I'm sure this can work for you.

/ I got a Tractor! #9  
Welcome. I bought a similar machine for my first. I rebuilt the carb, repacked front bearings, changed all the fluids and filters, fixed the diff lock pedal, put a liner in the gas tank, and decided that was enough. I spent more time working on that thing than using it. Hopefully yours will go smoother.

/ I got a Tractor! #10  
Congrats and good luck.