Oil & Fuel Transfer tank water separator recommendations please, just got a new GPI 12v pump

/ Transfer tank water separator recommendations please, just got a new GPI 12v pump #1  

Happy Gilmore

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 5610 Ford 4630 Ford 3930 MFWD w/ 7310 loader Ford 3930 Kubota BX1500 Kubota RTV 900XT Kubota F2680E 72"RD Ford 4610 Kubota KX121-3
I have a 50 gallon transfer tank that I keep my diesel in. I've been using a hand crank pump, but just picked up a new GPI 12V 15 GPM pump to replace it. Tractor Supply had it on sale for $249.99, but it was open box and cost me $237.50. I want to add a water separator / filter. What do you guys recommend? Any feedback on the GPI pump?

/ Transfer tank water separator recommendations please, just got a new GPI 12v pump #2  
I put a Goldenrod filter on my pump. It has a water block element. The housing is transparent so free water will settle out. I put a glove over the bowl to protect it from sunlight.

see here: GOLDENROD Fuel Filter, 4-5/16 x 9-1/2 In - G4001855 at Zoro

Be aware the standard element that comes with the filter is NOT a water block type.

/ Transfer tank water separator recommendations please, just got a new GPI 12v pump #3  
I put a Goldenrod water trapping filter on my tank, after the pump. You can buy them at TSC, Northern Tool, Amazon, etc. Not too expensive and a nice filter. Used iron pipe and elbows to arrange everything to my liking. If I recall right, the teflon tape made for natural gas piping is also OK for diesel -- usually its a yellowish color.

/ Transfer tank water separator recommendations please, just got a new GPI 12v pump #4  
Well, I don't know the first thing about your 12V pump. But what you want is in-line water separator and fuel filter(one each). I know I've seen them advertised at Gemplers and a couple other outlets. My neighbor - being a LARGE farmer/rancher - has a 2000 gal diesel fuel tank. It sits about eight feet off the ground on a pedestal that angles the tank back slightly. Once a year he opens a faucet on the back end and drains off a gallon or so of diesel and checks for water. He has some brand of electrified pump and a large fuel filter & water separator in line. He replaces the fuel filter and cleans the water separator annually.

/ Transfer tank water separator recommendations please, just got a new GPI 12v pump #5  
I have a Goldenrod water separator/filter on the outlet of my GPI pump but I go through a lot of filters. That's not really a bad thing because before I added the Goldenrod it was the tractor primary filter that stopped me. I haven't changed my tractor filter in the 400 hours since I added the Goldenrod. I also invested in their filter wrench when I saw them on the rack at one of our local stores. I did crack the plastic filter housing on my first Goldenrod and found a new filter was less expensive than the replacement housing.

/ Transfer tank water separator recommendations please, just got a new GPI 12v pump #6  
I have a Goldenrod water separator/filter on the outlet of my GPI pump but I go through a lot of filters. That's not really a bad thing because before I added the Goldenrod it was the tractor primary filter that stopped me. I haven't changed my tractor filter in the 400 hours since I added the Goldenrod. I also invested in their filter wrench when I saw them on the rack at one of our local stores. I did crack the plastic filter housing on my first Goldenrod and found a new filter was less expensive than the replacement housing.
I have the same filter setup purchased at TSC along with the wrench and it works well. TSC also carries the replacement elements.

/ Transfer tank water separator recommendations please, just got a new GPI 12v pump #7  
I use two Goldenrod filters, both are metal can type, one is a water separator, the second a particulate filter. I mark the date and number of gallons on them, and then run them for time or hours depending on how much fuel I'm using during a season.
I have what used to be an above ground gas tank, 350 gallons, IIRC. I drained it, installed a plastic suction pipe, to replace the galvanized one and shortened the overall length to keep any tank bottom contaminants from being drawn off. I try to use 'cut' fuel year round so there are no cold start issues when the weather gets cold. I store the fuel and tank in my heated barn and fill up before it gets near empty. The whole system works very well.

/ Transfer tank water separator recommendations please, just got a new GPI 12v pump #8  
Will these filters choke out a gravity fed system? I figure I can put my tank on a platform and drain it via a spigot into the tank rather than pumping. I'm acquiring parts for it as they catch my attention. I have a couple clean 50 gal drums that held isopropyl and I'm pretty sure are lined so rust shouldn't be an issue.

/ Transfer tank water separator recommendations please, just got a new GPI 12v pump #9  
You can also put a universal hydraulic filter head on the pressure side and use a full 12" canister filter. They are available in various micron size (25-50 would probable be good) and you can get them with water absorbing ability. The filter media will absorb water, pulling it out of the fuel. Just change every so often. The filter heads are on ebay for 15-20 bucks and donaldson water absorbing filter are there too for 25-30 bucks. Get one that is 25 gpm and you won't have much restriction at all on your 15 gpm pump.

/ Transfer tank water separator recommendations please, just got a new GPI 12v pump #10  
Will these filters choke out a gravity fed system? I figure I can put my tank on a platform and drain it via a spigot into the tank rather than pumping. I'm acquiring parts for it as they catch my attention. I have a couple clean 50 gal drums that held isopropyl and I'm pretty sure are lined so rust shouldn't be an issue.

Yes .... The filter will choke a gravity driven system ... Unless you have a 50 foot tower :laughing:

Be careful of the drums. I had a couple that had methanol .... They were NOT coated and rusted very quickly