how much fender clearance do I need for chains?

/ how much fender clearance do I need for chains? #1  

mowin

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3320
I have a JD 3320 with 43x16.00x20 R4 tires. There isn't a ton of clearance on the inside of the tires, about 2 1/4 inches. Slightly more on top.
So will chains clear the fenders? Is there a type of chain that requires less clearance?

I'm only needing to clear a path to my wood boiler and get back up the hill. I tried today, and it didn't work out to well. :(

/ how much fender clearance do I need for chains? #2  
I have the same size rear tires. I've been running 4 link ladder chains all winter so far and have not had any problem but I keep the chains tight with bungees. I only have 2" between the frame and the tire, a little more on top. With the chains on I have about 3/4" between the chain and frame. I may get some 1" or 2" wheel spacers for next year. You have 1/4" more than I. I guess it will depend on the type of chain you use. I run V bar chains on the front.

Attachments

• DSCN1495 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1495 (Large).JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 205
  • DSCN1494 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1494 (Large).JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN1492 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1492 (Large).JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCN1416 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1416 (Medium).JPG
    276 KB · Views: 253
   / how much fender clearance do I need for chains? #3  
Remember too that the faster you go the more centrifugal force will throw the chains out possibly causing them to hit your fender. Keep it under 90

/ how much fender clearance do I need for chains?
Remember too that the faster you go the more centrifugal force will throw the chains out possibly causing them to hit your fender. Keep it under 90

Ok 89 it is...

/ how much fender clearance do I need for chains? #5  
I run 3 link ladder ice chains and can barely place my hand between fender and tire without scraping my knuckles.
While my top speed is in the 7-10 KM/hr I very rarely have a cross link make contact.
But then I have good tensioners installed.

/ how much fender clearance do I need for chains? #6  
Your clearance is not enough for heavy duty ice chains. The V bar kind is not a heavy duty one, but if it is the kind you will put on, then it will fit. Like other posters said, keep them tight with bungee cords. With four bungees on each side, you will be just fine.
Remember to buckle up, and keep it under 90!!:laughing:

/ how much fender clearance do I need for chains? #7  
I had a similar clearance problem for chains on my JD 1070 with turf tires. They were about 3/4" from the roll bar on the inside. I drew up and had a machinist make spacers, then got longer high strength lug bolts. I believe I made the spacers 1.5 or 2 inches thick to add that clearance - I can check if you are interested. I just looked for my drawing and it must have stayed with the machinist. Although I also have ag tires for this machine, I went with the turf tires and chains for plowing snow. 2 1/4 on your machine sounds like enough to me for the chains I have, and I install them tight as possible slightly deflated, inflate fully, then bungee them and wire the loose ends to keep them from flopping. You need a bunch of bungess to keep the chains from migrating crooked if they don't come down the shoulders of the tire very far.

/ how much fender clearance do I need for chains? #8  
I have a chute that is 12 feet wide that leads out to the pasture where my beef cattle are. It's a fairly steep grade going down and without chains in the winter there would be times I wouldn't be able to get up the hill. The chains can be a bit of a pain to put on (it's easier with a helper) but they really make a difference. Once you get em you'll never look back.