What Is The 960 PTO Used For.

/ What Is The 960 PTO Used For. #11  
I could be 100% wrong but don't some foreign implements run at the 960 RPM? I have only seen this speed on the SCUT's and CUT's made in Korea or Japan, not sure about MF or JD models though.

My Branson also uses the same PTO shaft for both 540 & 960.

/ What Is The 960 PTO Used For. #12  
Thanks for explaining that Morrison. Obviously what I remember as 1000 is what you call 1000 small. Shouldn't surprise me that they would have outgrown it as hp climbs. The other option would have been to make a 2000 rpm version I suppose. Heavier material was bound to be called for.

/ What Is The 960 PTO Used For. #13  
540 is 1.375 6 spline, 1000 small is 1.375 21 spline, 1000 large is 1.75 20 spline.

These will be Category I and Cat. II dimensions. I have never seen a Cat I 1000 rpm spline, but then I have never been in the Far East (nor had one of their tractors) or the U.S. I have had tractors with Cat II 540 splines. Are 1000 Cat I splines common in USA?

/ What Is The 960 PTO Used For.
Yes, that would be an instance similar to other brands that have dual speed 540 pto's so that you can run lower rpm's for light duty work and still keep 540 at the pto. In those instances it would normally already be marked on the tach or just use a manual tach on the pto shaft itself when shifted into 1000 rev up until pto reaches 540 and with a marker, tape write or mark the right speed so you know how far you can go without getting into trouble.

That was the reason for the question. When cleaning up that very light snow (big yard) after all the major snow is done. Can I use the 960 range and lower the engine RPM so the blower is still at it rated RPM .
As this 960 PTO range is not marked on the tach. What RPM should the engine be run at.
I guess this is not a common practice to use the 960 range with a lower engine RPM.

Al

/ What Is The 960 PTO Used For. #15  
On my tractor I have a GS, (ground speed) 540, 750 & 1000 rpm PTO. The 1000 requires I change out the spline on the tractor. I do use the 750 rpm setting for cutting my clover with my Woods rotary cutter at a reduced throttle. Some tractors have a second "economy" PTO setting that I believe is a 750 option.

I have never run the pto shaft at 1000 rpm without changing the spline and shaft, but I think it would do it. Just doesn't seem like a good idea so I'll let someone else test it out and report back!:shocked:

/ What Is The 960 PTO Used For. #16  
That was the reason for the question. When cleaning up that very light snow (big yard) after all the major snow is done. Can I use the 960 range and lower the engine RPM so the blower is still at it rated RPM .
As this 960 PTO range is not marked on the tach. What RPM should the engine be run at.
I guess this is not a common practice to use the 960 range with a lower engine RPM.

My Kioti 3054xs has the dual pto options(same 1.375 6 spline shaft); I've found the engine must be run at 1500+/- to get your 540 on the implement. I use it for light snowfalls when 2600 seems excessive

/ What Is The 960 PTO Used For. #17  
Well, I have never seen or heard of a 960 PTO shaft, but that isn't to say there isn't one.

My LS P7010 has one shaft (540 splined) but has a gear box that I can shift from 540 to 750 or 1000. I sometimes run my 540 bush hog in the 750 range but reduce the required RPM to 62% of rated PTO speed when mowing light stuff. It saves me fuel and wear and tear on the engine by running the faster gear but reduced throttle.

/ What Is The 960 PTO Used For. #18  
Well, 540 is ~56% of 960, so if the tach has the 540 mark at 2500 engine RPM, you would need to run the engine at ~1406 RPM to get 540 RPM on the PTO with it in the 960 range.
If you have a different engine RPM for your 540 PTO speed, multiply that engine speed by 0.56 to get the engine speed right for 540RPM on the 960RPM setting.

Aaron Z

/ What Is The 960 PTO Used For. #19  

Al
This is a very common practice in the ag world. Like mentioned earlier by others you can do the math to set the appropriate speed or with some form of electronic or manual tach go right to the pto shaft and identify the proper engine rpm's if you are concerned. As I said earlier there is many many older tractors out on farms w/ 1000 pto only running lots of 540 implements, mostly out of need not fuel savings as this may be their only tractor and 2wd single speed pto tractors are much cheaper than later gen dual speed tractors. I would not be afraid at all to do this, and will help with the fuel costs.

/ What Is The 960 PTO Used For. #20  
Interesting thread. My Kubota b7100d has three pto speed selections. I use the lowest speed at full throttle, but in very light snow I have used 1140 Rpm (second speed) at 3/4 throttle and set the tractor at 2nd lowest gear. It will throw snow into the next county at that speed, but the ground speed is too slow. I find the best combo is lowest blower speed in the hi-range, lowest gear of the tractor tranny at nearly full throttle. Beats me why the kubota makers provided a high speed PTO gear. It puts out air like a big fan then. Possibly for driving an aux electric genny?