Cant get er to spark!!!

/ Cant get er to spark!!! #1  

851 roger

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 851 Powermaster
I have an Ford 851 powermaster. Went out to start it and no spark. I pulled the cap and rotor bug and there is no spark at the points when it's turned on and cranking over. All the wires are connected. It ran several months back when I need to move some snow. A little help would be good cause I really don't want to go back in the house!!!!

/ Cant get er to spark!!!
Ok I have 12 volts with the key on through the coil, into the distributer, and to the moving side of the points. I first pulled the coil wire and held it by ground while cranking and have spark there. Does that indicate that it's the condenser?

/ Cant get er to spark!!! #4  
Check the lugs in the cap for build up, from ionization. Ought to be able to scrape it off with a pocket knife, if that is the problem.

/ Cant get er to spark!!! #6  
When you crank it over do you see the points open and close but no spark. May need new points and condenser.

/ Cant get er to spark!!! #8  
Back when points were more common on everything, I used to keep one of those finger nail files that look like a pop-sickle stick with every machine. It seemed that if I wasn't up on the maint schedule that the points were always the first to give a no start problem. Simply hold the points open and scuff with file and it was almost always an immediate start. In later years I started to convert the point system to the electronic ignition with a simple kit that usually installs in just a few min made by Petronix that eliminates the points I have gone many trouble free miles on the road and many thousands of trouble free hours with machinery with those kits installed. so if your inclined to replace those points look into them to see if they have a kit that will work for you.

/ Cant get er to spark!!! #9  
Here is a link to their web site. Ignitor just in case you or anyone else has an interest. I see they can be purchased at your local Advance auto parts store.

/ Cant get er to spark!!! #10  
I have to run sandpaper and then a rag thru the points on my MM tractor every spring or it won't start. Takes about 5 minutes. Glad you got it running.