Tool Box For Pick-up Bed

/ Tool Box For Pick-up Bed #1  

LoudonNH

Bronze Member
Tractor
2017 JD5100M, 2014 JD5075E, 2017 JD3039R, 2023 JD X730
I'm seeking recommendations for an aluminum, diamond-plate tool box for the bed of my Ford F350.

I think I want the full-width style that mounts behind the cab with a full-width lid that provides access from the bed.

I do not need a fuel tank in the bed, just a tool box.

Prices seem to vary greatly, which implies quality does as well.

Thanks guys.

David

/ Tool Box For Pick-up Bed #3  
Around me Weatherguard seems to be the favorite. I have a husky from about 10 years ago and I hate it. The catches were cheaply attached and were always getting bent until they finally broke off. I now have a ratchet strap holding it shut so I don't hardly use it anymore. It also was never very weatherproof.

If I were to buy another I would look into the higher end delta boxes, but if I didn't like them I would bite the bullet and buy a Weatherguard. The local farm store used to carry a Dewalt one that looked promising as well, but it wasn't cheap either.

/ Tool Box For Pick-up Bed #4  
Here's a vote for Weatherguard.

/ Tool Box For Pick-up Bed #6  
I have a UWS brand fenderwell style installed backwards in front of the wheel well , so I can open it standing next to the bed.
P2092096.JPG
P2092101.JPG

Made in the USA and high quality.

Here are their crossbed deep models: Storage Solutions, Crossover Toolbox Series, Deep*| UWS Truck Accessories US

x02_386569.jpg

/ Tool Box For Pick-up Bed #7  
I've had a few different aluminum tool boxes and a couple steel ones since the mid 70's. I like the aluminum boxes because they don't rust, and look nice even after they're worn out.

Maybe I haven't ever bought the right one, but all of my aluminum boxes eventually split at the corners. The steel held up better. One of my pet peeves with aluminum boxes is the dark gray/black cruddy film that coats everything stored in them. It's been 30 years since my last steel box, and I don't recall if that was an issue with them.

/ Tool Box For Pick-up Bed #8  
I've had aluminum Weatherguard boxes of that style for years. Completely reliable. You can get them in various widths, depths, height above rails, and lengths.

/ Tool Box For Pick-up Bed
Yesterday I looked at the Tractor Supply boxes. They're made by Dee Zee and seem to have some good features; push-button latches at each end, 5 year warranty and just $329. Weather Guard seems to be the standard by which others are judged but a comparable box from them looks to be more than twice the price.

What do you guys know about Dee Zee?

I know what you're saying about the black dander coming from the aluminum inside the box. I'm thinking I'll cut a piece rubber from a 3/4" stall mat like we use in our horse barn to put inside on the bottom of the box. It might keeps things quiet in there and spread the weight of the contents around a little. Even a piece of plywood would be better than nothing...

/ Tool Box For Pick-up Bed #10  
I'm seeking recommendations for an aluminum, diamond-plate tool box for the bed of my Ford F350.

I think I want the full-width style that mounts behind the cab with a full-width lid that provides access from the bed.

I do not need a fuel tank in the bed, just a tool box.

Prices seem to vary greatly, which implies quality does as well.

Thanks guys.

David
How much do you use your bed?

I've got a diamond-plate, full width that came w/ my 2002 F350 dually. It's split slightly on one corner. Most of the time I use it as a tool box elsewhere. Presently it's strapped down in the front of my modified equipment trailer
tool-box.jpg

20140719_160506.jpg

I frequently need the bed space.
8x6SAM_0918.jpg

So I'm thankful it's easy to remove and move around.

If you move much 8' lumber in the bed take into account how much you can easily slide under the box. I can slide like 2 or 3 inches of "stuff" (think 3/4 plywood, 2x4's) under the toolbox. They make them shallower, but then I couldn't stand up a 5 gallon jerry can inside the box. Life's a tradeoff.