cold weather starting

/ cold weather starting #1  

kevin maclaughlin

Tractor
2013 Kioti ck20s hst
Going through a cold snap here in nova scotia,canada along with lots of snow which means lots of tractor use.I have owned my Kioti CK20 HST for close to 2 years and it has done a great job.Just wondering if anyone out there knows if you can add anything to hydraulics to speed up the warming process during cold prolonged weather.I start my tractor up with no issues but the hydraulic pressue to lift my bucket seems to take at least 15-20 minutes before it can go through its motions.Is this normal and do I just have to be patient,lol.

/ cold weather starting #2  
We are also having the cold snap here. A block heater will help the engine warm up quicker as will a heated garage to keep the tractor in. If those are not an option then you have to be patient. Start the tractor, go back in the house for a cup of coffee and let it warm up 10-15 minutes. I don't know of a specific heater for the hydraulic system. If you don't want to waste fuel letting it warm up then just go slow till it does warm up. My hydraulics also are slow the first few minutes but warm up quickly with use. I usually start my tractor and let it run for 5 minutes at just above idle, then start plowing at 1500 RPM, a few minutes later it's up to temp so throttle goes to 1900-2000 to finish the rest of the plowing.

/ cold weather starting #3  
Deere has hydraulic heaters available as well as engine block heaters. I don't have one and don't know much, other than they are available. Might be something aftermarket, if you look around. I think I'd use a torpedo heater, if I were you...15 minutes would likely do the job.

/ cold weather starting #4  
15 minute warm up wastes fuel, washes down the cylinder walls , increases ring and bore wear, dilutes lube oil and wet stacks the exhaust .
Once the engine is started and has built oil pressure . Operate at a modest load at near rated rpms until the temp gauges raises some.

/ cold weather starting #5  
How cold temps are we talking about?

/ cold weather starting #6  
How cold temps are we talking about?
0 to -20 F or -20 to -30 C
My power shuttle Mahindra is pretty sluggish in below zero weather. I find the best way to warm it up quick is to work it, it ususally gets better after 10-15 minutes of work. If I just let it sit at a high idle, the engine warms up but the hydraulics stay pretty stiff. In fact last year I plowed when it was 20 below and the loader and power angle plow never got very easy, even after working for an hour. But now I'm buying a hydrostatic and I'd be interested in some kind of transmission heater, in the hopes that it would allow me to get moving quicker.

/ cold weather starting #7  
15 minute warm up wastes fuel, washes down the cylinder walls , increases ring and bore wear, dilutes lube oil and wet stacks the exhaust .
Once the engine is started and has built oil pressure . Operate at a modest load at near rated rpms until the temp gauges raises some.

Read his post. He's asking about hydraulics, not the engine.

/ cold weather starting #8  
Going through a cold snap here in nova scotia,canada along with lots of snow which means lots of tractor use.I have owned my Kioti CK20 HST for close to 2 years and it has done a great job.Just wondering if anyone out there knows if you can add anything to hydraulics to speed up the warming process during cold prolonged weather.I start my tractor up with no issues but the hydraulic pressue to lift my bucket seems to take at least 15-20 minutes before it can go through its motions.Is this normal and do I just have to be patient,lol.

They make electric heaters that adhere to the hydraulic reservoir/pan/etc, but there might be a simpler way to get you through the winter. Check your manual to see if they address cold weather and they hydraulic systems first, but with some machines they recommend curling the bucket until the pressure relief valve kicks in, and holding it there for 10-15 seconds. You repeat that a few times and it'll warm the fluid up enough so things start working properly.

This company makes a bunch of different sizes, wattages, etc...and not all of them are just for oil pans. I'm going to put a small one on the oil pan of my Massey...it starts really well in cold temps, but I figure warming the oil for an hour before I start it in the cold can only help it last longer.

Wolverine Heaters - The Most Trusted Engine Oil Heater For Cold-Weather Starts

/ cold weather starting #9  
In -30C everything is slow, and to work it without much load is the usual method, a heather would help but the question is how easy it is to mount it where it will be efficient.