Need some quick answers

/ Need some quick answers #1  

Indygunworks

Silver Member
Tractor
1980 Ford 340
Hopefully I can get the answers tonight, or tomorrow morning before I head back out to the property... It was 10 degrees today and I was digging post holes for my deck. If I get them in before Tuesday they will piggy back with the rough in inspection on the house and I will save 100 bucks. I have had an occasional Power Steering leak on my tractor, but never much. I believe the cold today effected a few things and most of my fluid was pumped out from the seals on the "powered arm" I looked briefly but forgot to REALLY look at it before I left. I am trying to figure out what kind of power steering fluid I need to buy, where I need to add it, and about how much?

The tractor is a 1980 Ford 340 industrial. VERY similar to a ford 3000.

/ Need some quick answers #2  
Most power steering systems which are not part of a complicated hydraulic shuttle shift, hydraulic pto, etc, etc, can operate on General Motors automatic transmission fluid called Dexron II and available most anywhere.
There must be a hydraulic pump with built in reservoir attached to the engine. Some are driven by a fan belt like your car and others are driven from gears inside the engine. If it is the latter it could look a bit like the fuel injection pump. It will have a fill plug on the top. Most fill plugs have a built in dip stick. If there is no dip stick it is best to not fill right to the top to allow some room for the fluid to expand when it warms up. You may also need to bleed the system by turning the steering from side to side and then re checking the fluid level.
If you can post photos of both sides of your engine perhaps I can point you to it. There should be hydraulic hose or pipe coming from it.
There are power steering leak fix products which are worth a try if you have the simple power steering system. They soften the seals a little and can buy you some time before a proper repair.
Dave M7040

/ Need some quick answers #3  
Universal Tractor Fluid which meats the 134D spec would work fine as well.

/ Need some quick answers #4  
If your tractor is manual gear, you probably only have one hydraulic pump. This pump will feed your power steering, loader, remotes,etc. I do not know about your particular machine, therefore can not tell you if the required fluid is Hydraulic oil, or TDH. TDH is a universal fluid, and is used when there is only one oil used for the drive(transmission), and hydraulic system. Therefore you would have only one filler cap. On an industrial machine you should have a separate hydraulic system. On my Backhoe, the hydraulic reservoir is within the loader frame, main vertical beam, left side. It uses TDH for the transmission and final gear. If your tractor is not a loader, then I would check near the gear shifter levers. If not, then right behind the seat.

/ Need some quick answers #5  
Here is a picture of the power steering pump which I found on line.
If it is correct it looks like it would be at the front of the engine on the side.
The reservoir looks to be the back portion of the pump.
2rwxi07.jpg

Dave M7040