tires cut, but how?

/ tires cut, but how? #1  

oldboyscout

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
I just discovered 2 slices on one of my tires. I hate to think about it, but any thoughts on ways this could happen?
IMG_0356.JPG
IMG_0354.JPG
IMG_0357.JPG
IMG_0355.JPG

/ tires cut, but how? #2  
looks like a break along that seam ... just sayin?

/ tires cut, but how? #3  
Something sharp got caught in the chain trapped against the tire?

/ tires cut, but how? #4  
Jealous neighbor with a green tractor??:laughing:

/ tires cut, but how?
it's hard to see in the pics, but it doesn't follow the seam. i.e the radius of the cut changes. There are 2 cuts-roughly opposite each other.
My first though is troublemakers, but we don't really have much trouble up here. and they could have done much worse than that if they wanted to make trouble.

/ tires cut, but how? #6  
The tire rubbed against something sharp. Check the front tire on the same side for similar slice. If you were in my neck of the woods I would say it was a chunk of our volcanic rock. They chew the snot out of my tires.

What ever rubbed against the tire was stationary - that's why the slice follows the curve of the tire.

Its very likely that the damage occurred prior to the chains being put on the tires - notice the chains did not provide any protection.

/ tires cut, but how? #7  
Can u take another pic .. Use a pen or pencil to show the exact split your talking about .. It sure looks like the seem

/ tires cut, but how? #8  
could be from ice?

/ tires cut, but how? #9  
whis - that's a real possibility. Ice would make a very thin, smooth cut - like shows in those pics.

/ tires cut, but how? #10  
I did mine on a barbed wire fence. Bush hogging along the fence on a slight slope, and got just a little too close.